Not a Power Wagon. But ZR2 Hd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Westwind1124a

Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 ZR2Hd
Engine
6.6 Duramax
I got tired of waiting for a true HD redesign with the 5th Gen Cab. Went against every instinct and got the new ZR2 Hd. Looked at the rebel hd but wasn't feeling it. Not doing a real comparison but a few quick thoughts. Factory 35s (34.8). No frond diff lock and IFS. The ride is pretty nice, perhaps smoother than the PW. I like the seats better in the zr2 as they just fit me better. I dont think the zr2 interior as a whole is as nice as the rams but to me the cab feels way bigger than the hd ram cabs. The chevy fit and finish is surprisingly nice. Honestly Pics don't do it justice

Don't flame me too bad. I still love pw's but just not the right truck at this time for me. If anyone is looking please feel free to shoot me questions.

IMG_2613.jpg
and the old PW of course

IMG_9749.PNG

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I’m a huge power wagon fan but I do like that zr2 package. Beautiful truck. Congrats!

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
If general motors makes them nice enough whose to say if FCA won’t license them as RAM’s ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Westwind1124a

Westwind1124a

Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 ZR2Hd
Engine
6.6 Duramax
Thanks for the compliments! on a side note the Headlights are insane

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I’m biased as I just cross shopped this, the AT4, and f250 tremor with my HD rebel.
But the ZR2/AT4 was a strong contender and might have been the better move but I liked the on-road ride quality and the overall exterior looks best on the Ram…but ZR2 is a great choice. Congrats and give us the review once you have more seat time.

OP
OP
Westwind1124a

Westwind1124a

Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 ZR2Hd
Engine
6.6 Duramax
Quick update. I don't want to eat up much pw real estate in the forum, but thought I'd pass this along. So far really liking the zr2. I didn't know how I'd like the IFS but wow is it nice on road. I know it won't compete with a solid front axle off road but thats okay. Other than some plastic rattles, the cab is nice and quiet for a diesel. It smokes less then the hemi too. I though it was gimmicky, but after using the multi function tailgate I would be hard pressed to not have it. Again, any question just let me know.

I still hope they can get the 5th gen cab on the pw sometime soon. I'll be lurking

Airmousam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I'm not felling the whole front, but GM trucks always had a great ride..I had Colorado ZR2....great truck, towed like **** with the 3.6, so moved on..what is this Hemi smoke you speak of? My 21 6.4 no smokie

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
This would be my second choice, almost bought the GM HD this last time. Just couldnt get past all that black plastic in the interior for the $80k plus price tag. Sweet ride though.

OP
OP
Westwind1124a

Westwind1124a

Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 ZR2Hd
Engine
6.6 Duramax
I'm not felling the whole front, but GM trucks always had a great ride..I had Colorado ZR2....great truck, towed like **** with the 3.6, so moved on..what is this Hemi smoke you speak of? My 21 6.4 no smokie
I wasn't sure that I liked the front end until I saw one in person. maybe you have though.... I alway had that big puff of blue smoke at startup with my pw. wasn't a big deal though. I was worried about a diesel being smoky pulling it in and out of my garage but am amazed at how clean it is.

OP
OP
Westwind1124a

Westwind1124a

Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 ZR2Hd
Engine
6.6 Duramax
This would be my second choice, almost bought the GM HD this last time. Just couldnt get past all that black plastic in the interior for the $80k plus price tag. Sweet ride though.
I'm okay with the interior as a whole. although not quite as nice as the rams, I still find it pretty nice. The Bose would be my one big issue. It sucks. complete garbage. Not sure when you bought your ram, but the msrp on those are out of hand. I was at 88,500 fully loaded. the rebel hd would have been almost 100k

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I got tired of waiting for a true HD redesign with the 5th Gen Cab. Went against every instinct and got the new ZR2 Hd. Looked at the rebel hd but wasn't feeling it. Not doing a real comparison but a few quick thoughts. Factory 35s (34.8). No frond diff lock and IFS. The ride is pretty nice, perhaps smoother than the PW. I like the seats better in the zr2 as they just fit me better. I dont think the zr2 interior as a whole is as nice as the rams but to me the cab feels way bigger than the hd ram cabs. The chevy fit and finish is surprisingly nice. Honestly Pics don't do it justice

Don't flame me too bad. I still love pw's but just not the right truck at this time for me. If anyone is looking please feel free to shoot me questions.

View attachment 535739
and the old PW of course

View attachment 535741
Nice looking new ride. I was kinda looking at a Trail Boss, but the 60's to the 80's just too much for dis pooh BOIRD to jump. Not want $500-$800 a month payments a again forever. I even tried to crawl into a Sierra, but my big worry on either is the known 5.3 and 6.2 lifters and cam issues also.

I guess, do U have the 6.6 Duramax in the ZR2???

OP
OP
Westwind1124a

Westwind1124a

Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 ZR2Hd
Engine
6.6 Duramax
Nice looking new ride. I was kinda looking at a Trail Boss, but the 60's to the 80's just too much for dis pooh BOIRD to jump. Not want $500-$800 a month payments a again forever. I even tried to crawl into a Sierra, but my big worry on either is the known 5.3 and 6.2 lifters and cam issues also.

I guess, do U have the 6.6 Duramax in the ZR2???
Duramax, yes. I was on the fence but figured resale would be better as well as towing. Gas mileage looks to be around 18.5 not broken in. was getting about 12.5 with the power wagon. of course the diesel price is more than gas so it probably is closer in dollars and cents. I said I'd never do another GM, but here I am

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Sadly I would agree, the RAMs have gone insane on their MSRPs since I bought mine last spring. I test drove several new and hard to find silverado HDs, not the ZR2 versions and the price was much better than the RAMs. I also liked the allison 10 speed tranny. Truck was super quiet. I guess since then, they have updated the interiors of the GM HDs with different dash and screens.
Like others here, I cant or wont be buying any new trucks anymore, I have been priced out of the game permanently.

OP
OP
Westwind1124a

Westwind1124a

Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 ZR2Hd
Engine
6.6 Duramax
Sadly I would agree, the RAMs have gone insane on their MSRPs since I bought mine last spring. I test drove several new and hard to find silverado HDs, not the ZR2 versions and the price was much better than the RAMs. I also liked the allison 10 speed tranny. Truck was super quiet. I guess since then, they have updated the interiors of the GM HDs with different dash and screens.
Like others here, I cant or wont be buying any new trucks anymore, I have been priced out of the game permanently.
The first place I looked was the ram dealerships. It was shocking to see those sticker prices. good news that your ram should last you a very long time.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I really tried to get into Sierra last year but between engine issues and 63K price when Ram paid off argh. Of course none of even. The medium priced Chevys have TT control etc U gotta go way up like Ram.

Nickx86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
ill admit myself, if my old truck got totaled in 2024 and not in 2022, i might of gone with a GM over the ram, the updated interior on the 24 is a major improvement, not quite as nice as a ram. The 6.6 gas w the 10 speed is a on par if not slightly better than the 6.4 hemi due to no MDS and the much bigger cab. However, ram trucks are still very nice, they just needs the true 5th gen cab update and a slightly bigger bed on the standard 3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks. Ford trucks…had them in the past and once they went to aluminum body. I fled the scene, I had one and it was garbage

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat