OEM Sport Alloy Wheels - Refurb Or Change?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EViS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The finish on my OEM 4th gen Ram Sport alloys is blistering. Presumably this is just a clear coat/lacquer? I'm not sure whether to have these refurbished back to OEM new condition, powdercoat in a different color, or whether it makes more sense to sell these and buy new wheels?

What do you guys think suits a white RAM best? I've thought about changing all of the emblems and RAM badges, the side steps/nerf bars, exhaust tail pipes and front grille, all to black. Then powdercoating the wheels a gloss black too, but not sure whether I will get bored of that style quickly.

I've ordered new Cooper Discoverer AT3 Sport 2 tires so getting them fitted to refurbished/new rims makes more sense.

Attachments

• Ram Alloy 001.jpg
    Ram Alloy 001.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 14
  • Ram Alloy 002.jpg
    Ram Alloy 002.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 14

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It is all personal preference. I like my black wheels but I like polished wheels too.

Getting rid of the all the chrome can be very expensive which is why I haven't done my bumpers yet.

If you think there is a chance of you getting "bored of that style quickly" then I would just get your wheels clear powder coated.

A few people have blacked the stripe in the center of the spokes only and that looks really nice IMO.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Its not cheap to make it what you want, but here is mine day 1 and then today. I have close to 6k in color matching. Id vote if you dont want to go that extreme. I powder coated mine after removing the clads. Added a custom center cap and a mopar sticker. They look sharp.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-08-05 at 10.09.15 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-05 at 10.09.15 AM.png
    596.7 KB · Views: 16
  • Screen Shot 2021-11-13 at 11.49.21 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-11-13 at 11.49.21 AM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 15
  • Screen Shot 2021-10-15 at 1.05.11 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-15 at 1.05.11 PM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 17

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I'd powdercoat them if you like the wheel style.

The wheels will be stripped of any coatings on them and there are lots of gloss, matte & color options with powder coating.

As an example the clearcoat on my stock SRT8 wheels started to peel and I had them powdercoated.

Before:

004.JPG

After:

023.JPG

Last.jpg

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If it was me, I'd paint them myself. I'd find a cheap set of take offs or whatever I could find that fit if I still needed to drive the truck.

I've done a couple sets of rims for my vehicles - just takes some time. Lats set was some RX8 Rims for my Mazda 3. They looked great for about six years and might have gone longer, but but for an accident that bent one up and severely scratched another.

I was considering painting the chrome clads that were originally on the truck, but came upon a set of 2016 rims for sale cheap on Craig's List. After a few years though, I wish I'd painted the others, I think they would have looked better.

For your rims on a white truck, I'd paint them black with a white accent stripe in the middle of each spoke.

Anyway, that's my opinion, worth everything you paid for it. ;)

OP
OP
EViS

EViS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for all of the replies. I visited a wheel refurb shop today which I have used over the years and gets excellent reviews. Turns out that the OEM wheels are quite involved, and therefore expensive, to refurb to the same standard on this side of the pond as the process requires a ceramic / ball polishing machine of which there are not many and on which the process is very time consuming.

So, the most cost effective option is to powder-coat. At least that helped in the decision making process :). I've settled for "santorini black", which is a JLR color. Looks absolutely brilliant IMO. Booked in for next week.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for all of the replies. I visited a wheel refurb shop today which I have used over the years and gets excellent reviews. Turns out that the OEM wheels are quite involved, and therefore expensive, to refurb to the same standard on this side of the pond as the process requires a ceramic / ball polishing machine of which there are not many and on which the process is very time consuming.

So, the most cost effective option is to powder-coat. At least that helped in the decision making process :). I've settled for "santorini black", which is a JLR color. Looks absolutely brilliant IMO. Booked in for next week.
You will like. Watch it tho that bug is expensive lol. Post pictures when you get it done!