Official word on overdrive and towing....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

El Huapo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4X4 Warlock 1500 Classic DS w/3.55 LSD
Engine
V6 flex
Just thinking that maybe if there was a doubt as to keeping it cool enough, maybe just install a bigger cooler to be safe. Cheaper than replacing a trans, cheaper than getting a long tow for truck and trailer when a tranny grenades on a trip.

Jody Sowers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good morning! I have a '99 1500 with a 318, 46RE transmission with a very big aftermarket external cooler and check valve, 3.55 rear end, and 245/75 R 16 tires. It STRUGGLES pulling my 4k camper. I'm planning on changing gears (and all bearings) to 4.56 ratio. Its not a daily driver, but on occasion, and camping trips. So gas mileage isn't too much of a concern.

Anyone know the final drive when the transmission is in OD lock? I don't think it's a 1:1. Right now, I'm doing 1900 RPM engine speed at 65 MPH. I'm sure there is a formula out there, but can't seem to find it.

Thanks!
Jody

Last edited:

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Overdrive is 0.69:1, I wouldn’t do 4.56 with that small of a tire. I’m usually one that’s a very big proponent of big gears but that’s a bit much for anything short of application specific drag racing. I would keep the 3.55, maybe go 4.10s at the most and keep it in 3rd, like you’re really supposed to

Jody Sowers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey dapepper9, thanks for the Overdrive gear! Yes, I think I'll dial it back to a 4.10, and keep my 245 / 75 tires. I just know Michigan has a minimum speed limit and my truck had a hard time keeping it, so I have to do something. My relatives have newer Chevy trucks with 3.73 rear ends but bigger engines and the 6 speed (I think) transmissions.
What kind of throttle body do you have? You like it? I still have the stock on mine, but thinking of swapping. Also, though the other Dodge Forums, there was a intake manifold issue with the 318 engines, that maybe a spring time thing I'll do.
Thanks!
Jody

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Hey dapepper9, thanks for the Overdrive gear! Yes, I think I'll dial it back to a 4.10, and keep my 245 / 75 tires. I just know Michigan has a minimum speed limit and my truck had a hard time keeping it, so I have to do something. My relatives have newer Chevy trucks with 3.73 rear ends but bigger engines and the 6 speed (I think) transmissions.
What kind of throttle body do you have? You like it? I still have the stock on mine, but thinking of swapping. Also, though the other Dodge Forums, there was a intake manifold issue with the 318 engines, that maybe a spring time thing I'll do.
Thanks!
Jody
Since you still have stock size tires with those 3.55s, another thing you could try is doing a tune and the throttlebody like you were asking. I wouldn’t go with the F&B like I have but I’d get one from FRPTuning. They’re a stock core that’s been enlarged. I say this because those guys pick up 50wtq in these things on 93 with slightly less but similar gains on 91. You could do both upgrades for less than $1000. If you’re 2wd, it’s about $1000 to get the rear re-geared but if you’re 4x4 it’s a little more than double. Mine was $2500 and I even supplied the rebuild kits and the limited slip. Gears a solid upgrade for sure but thought I’d let you know of your other options.

as for the intake issues, 3.9 5.2 and 5.9 all have the same issue. It’s similar to 3800 v6 intake issues. Gasket inside the manifold goes bad and engine starts burning oil. Reduces power, can start to ping, etc. Repairing that is a solid upgrade as well. There’s a sticky on it in either the performance section or the diy section, I forget which

Jody Sowers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good morning! I think I'll do both, upgrade my throttle body, and get 4.10 gears. I think a friend of mine will help me on the gears. He asked me what size of differential and type of transmission, but his health isn't the greatest. I'm not pressuring him, but left it up to him. If not, I'll take it to the local shop who rebuilt my 46RE a few years ago. I'm sure they'll be happy to see the old truck again.
The truck never used oil in the 19 years I've had it even pulling camper, but it pings with the 87 octane like no tomorrow. I normally keep 89 in it for the winter time. Summer time, it gets 93 octane. I may upgrade my throttle body this spring, and while I'm under the hood, change out the intake manifold gasket too. Any special intake manifold I should look for? Felpro?
Thanks!
Jody