Oil capacity with SRT filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fastbee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I ordered the SRT filter and RL 5-30 for my oil change. I searched here and didn't see (could have missed it though) if the SRT filter increases capacity. I ordered 7 qts and after draining and refilling it looks like the oil level is low. I didn't really let it settle out so it might continue to increase. Do I need to add more oil? I guess I could order another quart or grab another brand from the store to make up the difference.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
You could just order 9 quarts and have your next oil change on hand?

OP
OP
F

Fastbee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just checked it again and its just a touch low, not much at all. Might get another quart on the way just in case.

OP
OP
F

Fastbee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So it looks like I won't be able to get the Red Line until later in the week. Would topping off with something else be ok or could I just drive it a little low (and by a little, the oil level is at the cross hatch marks on the dipstick) until Friday? Ive checked several places and none can guarantee it here before Thursday without paying a fortune in shipping.

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
No problem unless you have hemi tick.

OP
OP
F

Fastbee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks Burla. It didn't tick before this change, hopefully it won't after! I really debated going to the RL 5W30 since I haven't experienced any ticks but I tow alot and try to use the best I can to keep my stuff working right. The truck only has 55k on it and I'd like to give it to my son in a few years when he starts driving. I'll go ahead and get the other quart on the way.

ChevySlayer69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I personally would not run 8 quarts it's hardly a difference with the bigger filter

OP
OP
F

Fastbee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
ChevySlayer69 - I won't put the whole quart in there, it probably only needs 1/4 to 1/2 quart to be well within the cross-hatched "OK" zone on the dipstick. I get very little oil in my catch can and haven't noticed the truck using any oil but I'd feel better if it were a little higher. I'll save the rest in case it needs some or to have on hand for the next oil change. I'm really debating on giving Amsoil a try on the next change, I used it for several years in all my stuff but for some reason got away from it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ftank