oil changes - 2014 2500HD Hemi 5.7

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ahiaring

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
So I came to dodge from a Toyota Tundra. The Toyota used synthetic oil and was changed every 10k miles.

How often do I need to be changing oil on this hemi? Is it going to be worth it to go to synthetic?

Most of the driving is highway/city to work. I will tow about 6500 pounds probably 20 days out of the year. I am in Idaho were it will get as hot as 100 and cold as 5-10 degrees...What do you experts recommend?

HemiRoar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
follow the owner's manual. a lot of people here run sythetic and have had great results..but it isnt a requirement.

from personal experience, living in a place where the temperature can go from -40 to 35*C (around 100*F), have been running non synthetic for 45K with no problems whatsoever.

BBRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM 2500 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7 4:10
Your first four oil changes are free at any dealer if you bought the truck new

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
If you have free oil changes? Use Them! My dealer never offered them to me! I live 3 1/2 hours away from my dealers so having them do them is a No Go!

Ahiaring: My first advice and this is ONLY MY OPINION-->I would have the first oil change done around 3K miles. Some do it way before! I did mine at 1500 miles.

You don't need a synthetic oil! Any Popular Name Brand 5W-20 will work great with 5-7K mile oil changes-->Pay close attention to your OLM. Since you tow some! I would really not recommend going past 5K miles. I would Recommend Pennzoil or QS 5W-20. You can even stick with the Mopar 5W-20 I think it is just re-badged Pennzoil.

Synthetics are VERY Popular! I have used them since I was 16.
They handle the Heat better then regular Dino Oil. They also offer better cold weather pump ability-->This is the Most Important to Me! Since I feel most wear happens during start ups.

You have many choices! Just keep your OCI within reason and keep that Air Filter Serviced as Well.