Are dealer oil changes required for warranty?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
First, it's not exactly the same motor, depending on the year truck the transport driver owns. Second, Rotella comes in both syn and non-syn versions. Specs for the 19+ 6.7 call for synthetic 5w-40 or syn/non-syn 10w-30. I'd guess most of us use syn 5w-40 year round. On my 18 6.7, 15w-40 non-syn was okay, but not the newest trucks.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Great topic and right on time for my question. Not trying to hijack this thread but my question quite close.
My 07.5 6.7 CTD Mega Cab 4/4. I have been running Mobil 1 full synthetic 5W-40 for Turbo Diesel Truck for at least 12 years or more. My truck runs better with it. I was talking to a transport driver the other day and he has a newer Dodge Ram with the same engine. He told me to never you anything other than Rotala, he was quite adamant about it. He claims that the seals are not designed for synthetic oil. My mechanic says the guy is nuts !! putting it lightly. I would like your opinion. My truck has 162K and just started a slight oil leak in the pan. Opinions please.
I thank you in advance.
What does your manual say?

bobby a

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins 6.7
Thank you gentleman, not sure what the manual says, I will check that out. I wanna say I was at the Cummings dealership new me and they said it was ok to use synthetic, but that was many years ago. thanks again

Jim113

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Longhorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Interesting.

But just stating for the record, was not intending to discuss what is "best" oil, interval etc. I'm sure there are thousands of posts duke-ing that out. My focus is just what to use to avoid a warranty rejection "you didn't use the *approved* oil". I change religiously at 5K/6mos and don't plan to tow much, so with that schedule I doubt the oil choice will make much wear/performance difference because I won't be subjecting it to heavy duty cycle or longer change intervals.

I do think it's interesting that 2023 requires 0-W20 and sounds like prior manuals specified different weights/viscosities for the same engine. Curious what that's all about.
In one of your previous comments you stated ... " it's a little confusing when I google dexos it seems like some kind of GM standard or is it an additive?" when referring to what a mechanic said to you ... I thought you were looking for info on the "dexos" blend, ergo I posted the explanation about dexos ...
I use Mobil 1 extended performance 5W20 in my Ram 5.7 and the equivalent filter as well, and have never had an issue .. It meets the requirement of the RAM warranty and has the dexos endorsement for GM vehicles ... I believe there was some tweaking done to the newer models and they recommend the 0W20 ... My 2020 RAM recommends 5W20 ...

OP
OP
R

randyl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
In one of your previous comments you stated ... " it's a little confusing when I google dexos it seems like some kind of GM standard or is it an additive?" when referring to what a mechanic said to you ... I thought you were looking for info on the "dexos" blend, ergo I posted the explanation about dexos ...
I use Mobil 1 extended performance 5W20 in my Ram 5.7 and the equivalent filter as well, and have never had an issue .. It meets the requirement of the RAM warranty and has the dexos endorsement for GM vehicles ... I believe there was some tweaking done to the newer models and they recommend the 0W20 ... My 2020 RAM recommends 5W20 ...
All good, just didn't want others thinking it was an oil debate thread. Any idea what was the tweaking that justified the change?

Jim113

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Longhorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
All good, just didn't want others thinking it was an oil debate thread. Any idea what was the tweaking that justified the change?
Not sure ... The only difference between the two grades is the pour rate ... -63 degrees F for 0W20 and -57 degrees F for the 5W20 ... The engine flow would be a bit quicker with the 0W20 in colder climates such as the northern U.S and Canada ... I think the 0W20 recommendation just came out for the 2022 models and up ...

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Thank you gentleman, not sure what the manual says, I will check that out. I wanna say I was at the Cummings dealership new me and they said it was ok to use synthetic, but that was many years ago. thanks again
First off its CUMMINS not Cummings. I used 5w40 synthetic oil in my 2006 CTD for 15 years aka up to the day I sold it and use it in my current 2022, back then when most peopel used 15w40 oil the only way to use 5w40 oil was if it was synthetic you could not use a 5w40 synthetic blend...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357