Oil Extraction from Dipstick Tube?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

QwikKota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I made the mistake of putting in too much 0W-40 to increase the viscosity of 5W-20 and my 1/4" OD tubing for an electric pump will not go all the way down to the sump. Does anyone know if smaller diameter tubing will work or is there a baffle that prevents getting to the oil?

Blended viscosity should be 64 cSt at 40°C and 11.5 cSt at 100°C. Pressure is only 48 psi at idle when hot so I don't think it's a huge deal just mad at my stupidity. My boys were playing tennis against the house and hit a window, distraction central.

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
48psi at hot idle!? God d@mn. I run 5w30 5qts and 2 of 10w30 and I’m lucky to be in the 38psi range hot idle in gear. But that’s at 212*F oil temp.

Do yourself a favor, get a fumoto valve (or EZ drain which I use), if you had one installed you could just open it up into a qt and filled it up and closed it up. No mess no fuss.

But to answer your question I would use a 3/16” hard tubing like copper or something in the dipstick tube if you really wanted to try. Pushing rubber down into the pan just to get stuck and break off sounds like a bad idea. Use small rubber at the top to the suction device and have at it. I’m not sure there is a baffle in the pan but it’s a solid tube all the way to the block.

OP
OP
QwikKota

QwikKota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
48psi at hot idle!? God d@mn. I run 5w30 5qts and 2 of 10w30 and I’m lucky to be in the 38psi range hot idle in gear. But that’s at 212*F oil temp.

Do yourself a favor, get a fumoto valve (or EZ drain which I use), if you had one installed you could just open it up into a qt and filled it up and closed it up. No mess no fuss.

But to answer your question I would use a 3/16” hard tubing like copper or something in the dipstick tube if you really wanted to try. Pushing rubber down into the pan just to get stuck and break off sounds like a bad idea. Use small rubber at the top to the suction device and have at it. I’m not sure there is a baffle in the pan but it’s a solid tube all the way to the block.

Reading this forum, oil pressures are all over the place. Could be sending units or different oils. My EVIC flutters and is never constant. I believe it's usually around 40 but will do a 40/41/42 dance. Driving I believe it's in the 50's.

The tubing I have is 300 psi clear hard plastic. It's pretty strong but I also did not want it to get stuck. The pump came with some copper tubing of about the same diamater but would not go down as far and was too short to reach as far as the dipstick does. I may look for some thinner tube at Ace later. I wouldn't think there would be a baffle either as the dipstick goes down pretty far and obviously reads the oil level. I may consider the Fumoto valve as I have previously had to drain a little out in the past to add LiquiMoly etc. and timing the drain plug and re-seating was a pain.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
There is not a baffle in the pan that would block your tube or rubber hose from reaching the oil. i have actually used a piece of plastic tubing from an oil pressure gauge kit to recover some oil from the pan before. If you decide to use rubber make sure it is new and you will have to lube it up to get all the way down the dipstick without jamming. Use engine oil to lube the rubber hose while slowly pushing it down the dipstick.

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
Reading this forum, oil pressures are all over the place. Could be sending units or different oils. My EVIC flutters and is never constant. I believe it's usually around 40 but will do a 40/41/42 dance. Driving I believe it's in the 50's.

The tubing I have is 300 psi clear hard plastic. It's pretty strong but I also did not want it to get stuck. The pump came with some copper tubing of about the same diamater but would not go down as far and was too short to reach as far as the dipstick does. I may look for some thinner tube at Ace later. I wouldn't think there would be a baffle either as the dipstick goes down pretty far and obviously reads the oil level. I may consider the Fumoto valve as I have previously had to drain a little out in the past to add LiquiMoly etc. and timing the drain plug and re-seating was a pain.

Yea, but at hot idle 40+ seems high with everything up to temp. Mine goes from mid to high 30a to 52+ as soon as I touch the throttle off idle. I think there is a bypass at 60psi as it usually never reads higher than that. If your running pure 0w40 weight that might be possible to tip into the 40s, I gained 5psi or so from switching from the factory 5w20 to 5w30 and 10w30 mix.

You can get copper pressure gauge tubing kits for like $5-10 on eBay or amazon and they come with super small copper tubing and fittings at like 5-6ft which is more than enough.

OP
OP
QwikKota

QwikKota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Yea, but at hot idle 40+ seems high with everything up to temp. Mine goes from mid to high 30a to 52+ as soon as I touch the throttle off idle. I think there is a bypass at 60psi as it usually never reads higher than that. If your running pure 0w40 weight that might be possible to tip into the 40s, I gained 5psi or so from switching from the factory 5w20 to 5w30 and 10w30 mix.

You can get copper pressure gauge tubing kits for like $5-10 on eBay or amazon and they come with super small copper tubing and fittings at like 5-6ft which is more than enough.
I will keep an eye on it for the next few days and try to keep my foot out of it to be on the safe side. I tried some thin copper tubing which looked smaller than 1/4" but didn't want to force it when it hung up and gouge out any metal. If it's a dangerous situation I will definitely drain a few quarts out and refill with 5W-20.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Lucas oil stabilizer works great as well. Got rid of lifter tick on my Chevy before I traded it in and boosts oil pressure. The engine shop I usto work in used it for assembly lube.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Just crack open oil drain plug & use clean funnel & container.
Leave funnel down low enough to tighten plug back up to stop flow.
Use a large funnel to avoid a mess.
also if you funnel into a clean container you can just pour some back in if you drain too much.

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
Lucas oil stabilizer works great as well. Got rid of lifter tick on my Chevy before I traded it in and boosts oil pressure. The engine shop I usto work in used it for assembly lube.
Lucas oil stabilizer has actually been proven to cause more harm than good. No additives and it’s a low quality base stock. I would rather you run a qt or two of thicker better oil. It’s why I run 2 qts of 10w30 with 5 qts of 5w30.... no litter tick bc 5w20 is so thin the lifters bleed it down quickly while sitting.

OP
OP
QwikKota

QwikKota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L

I will drain 3 quarts or so for use at another time. Cold oil pressure is 60 when accelerating so I don't want to risk bypassing the filter. 3 day old oil on a 40k mile truck should still be pretty clean.

OP
OP
QwikKota

QwikKota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I tried soft vinyl 1/4" OD tubing and still no go down the dipstick tube. Even tried to use the dipstick to push. There has to be something blocking the tubing besides friction or bunching up. Will just use drain plug when the weather calms down.

Seeing 60+ psi when cold and mildly accelerating. That's probably not good.

Zack02

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Perhaps, I don’t dissagree.

I wouldn't be too worried about it. Many people here has also reported lower PSI's..

I tried soft vinyl 1/4" OD tubing and still no go down the dipstick tube. Even tried to use the dipstick to push. There has to be something blocking the tubing besides friction or bunching up. Will just use drain plug when the weather calms down.
Seeing 60+ psi when cold and mildly accelerating. That's probably not good.

I've had better luck, doing it via the filter as other people have suggested. But good luck, it's a PIA either way.

I think you're normally at 60+ PSI with this oil viscosity. Overfilling isn't going to cause more pressure on the system or restrict flow increasing the pressure. The issue with overfilling is if the oil is turned by the crankshaft, can become oxygenated and becomes foamy. Oil mixed with air does not lubricate (overheating/ internal damage). You also can get a loss of oil pressure because aerated oil isn't going to pump correctly.

OP
OP
QwikKota

QwikKota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Thanks for the info but it's not overfilled. I put in too much 0W-40, but still only 7 quarts total. I wanted 2 but put in all 5 doing some stupid partially empty jug filling and then poured in the remaining 0W-40 instead of putting it back in the garage. Definitely not messing with that damn filter unless I have to. I need to get out at least 3 quarts. Will take my chances catching it in a clean container and put cardboard underneath. We just had a tropical depression roll over us so I have not had a chance to do it.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L

^^THIS IS THE CORRECT ANSWER ^^

I love my truck!
Blue Mule 18 Ram 4x4 C/C
Tradesman Power Wagon

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juanita Kelley