On board fire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GaryD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 1983 PW that had an electrical fire, can anyone send pics of their s to aid me to put it back together.IMG_20230106_160016.jpg

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Better off going to a pick&pull and getting the complete wire harness, what caused it to burn like that, find out what caused it first.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Picture isn't going to help, you need the wiring diagram or used harness.
If fixing yourself make sure you use fuse link wire and not straight wire when it call for fuse link wire.

OP
OP
G

GaryD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think the starter relay on the firewall insides broke and welded to the inner wall of the grounded relay. **** up she went. I found an 84 diagram I think will get me started. I will check out the sites you all supplied. Thanks will give updates.

OP
OP
G

GaryD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
New question: does anyone know what this is? At first I thought it was the voltage regulator now I am not sure.20230308_154324.jpg

Dodge trucker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 85 was a hacked up mess when I got it, worst wiring butchery I've ever seen. I'm talking bout the main hot wire from the alternator changing color and gauge size 3 times and b the length of the slant 6 valve cover. And crudely twisted and taped at each junction not even wire nuts to join them (I hate those but they would have been an improvement)
I ended up getting a replacement harness from a junkyard and went thru it with a fine tooth comb before I plugged it in.
While there I deleted every damn fusible link that was there. Don't scream, everything is fused. I went back to the yard and looked around at newer vehicles with under hood fuse boxes, I decided on one from an 89-92 ranger with **** fuses. I subbed everything that used to be fusible linked to a maxifuse.

I did some research on this before I did this and found a tech bulletin from Littelfuse on the creation of the Maxifuse which actually was developed to replace the fusible links. I emailed littelfuse back n forth while I was at it.
I never thought adding sifter wire 3 gauge sizes smaller than the parent wiring in a circuit was a good idea....