P0720 - Before The Code

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DogsPaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Laramie V8 5.2l
Okay, first post on the RamForum. First time it's ever done this to me. I went from a BMW with 500000 computers that if one broke, the entire car broke. To a Dodge Ram with little to no sensors and I fell in love.

Truck:
1998 Dodge Ram Laramie
V8 5.2l (318)
2WD Model (Automatic)

Recently, after babying the heck out of her, she had a tantrum. It's been pretty bad weather in my area with mild flooding (truck wasn't in more than a foot of water, it never sat in a flood area, just drove through a puddle) which is what I think started this chain of events.

Awhile ago I noticed when you put the truck in reverse it almost sounded like one of those air mattress pumps was running, ONLY when the truck was in reverse and certain temperatures (cold). It never had any issues so I ignored it.

I was driving today and from a dead stop, I stepped on the gas, the truck went up not even 600 RPMs before dropping to about 400, shaking horribly and going lower until I quickly let my foot off. I didn't floor it, I just took off from a red light like I normally do. I went right instead of continuing on the highway and when I stepped on the gas again, it dipped in RPMs and started shaking horribly.

Now, the sound to me ALMOST sounded like the transmission was spinning, but the splines on the driveshaft were slipping. I had no check engine lights, I had oil pressure, temperature was at normal OP Temps. I stopped, shut it down, gave it a few minutes to recompose herself, started her back up, drove it down a side street, I didn't have any problems after about 200Ft. So I did a U-Turn, and gave it more than needed acceleration, seeing if it was something to do with speed/high RPMs. Check Engine light came on almost immediately. I pulled to the side again, shut it down, called a friend and he ended up following me while I drove back to his garage. Which was about a mile away. There were no issues on the way there, but I wasn't pushing it and he was intentionally blocking traffic to give me a wide spacing so I wouldn't push it.

We get his scanner out, he gets a P0720 Code. Which is the Speed Sensor Code, something about 15Mph $30 Part:

917-602-3_zps29d46738.jpg

What my concern is, can a part like this make the truck sound like it did. It only did it those two times, but I swear it sounded like something was spinning and grinding. Which from the center of the truck could be several things, but the driveshaft would feel like the best one. I'm all good about the sensor, I'm shocked a plastic sensor survived 16 years. The truck shifts fine, doesn't hesitate or get too high for the amount of gas it's given.

Will I be all good to go after I get this part replaced, or does it sound/seem like I'm looking at something much bigger down the road?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca