PA Inspection Law on Mufflers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

427invader

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've been seeing posts on the forum that there are guys running cats with no mufflers after legally, because the cats are mufflers as well. I don't know the states they are from, but was wondering if it is legal in PA. My mufflers are very old and will need to be gotten rid of in another 6 months or so. I just don't want to get mufflers to replace them if I don't have too. Any help is greatly appreciated.

blackbeautyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I'm pretty sure we have to have cats and a muffler and the exhaust has to exit from under the body somewhere so we can't just dump it straight to the ground.

OP
OP
427invader

427invader

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The only facts I know are cats are only required in the counties that have emissions test with the state inspection and the exhaust must be past the last door of the vehicle. I am just not sure if mufflers are required when you have cats.

Ram-Rod

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cats and mufflers are completely different and the laws for them are almost always separate. The cats are up stream, closer to the engine, from the muffler. Removing the muffler does not have any effect on the cats or vice versa. Anyone who is claiming a cat is passing as a muffler is either lying or getting extremely lucky with testing procedures. Any testing facility should know the difference. Removing the muffler has zero effect on emissions, so your only issue is if there is a noise ordinance in place or a law preventing removal of the muffler.

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Cats and mufflers are completely different and the laws for them are almost always separate. The cats are up stream, closer to the engine, from the muffler. Removing the muffler does not have any effect on the cats or vice versa. Anyone who is claiming a cat is passing as a muffler is either lying or getting extremely lucky with testing procedures. Any testing facility should know the difference. Removing the muffler has zero effect on emissions, so your only issue is if there is a noise ordinance in place or a law preventing removal of the muffler.

Yeah removing a muffler has nothing to do with emissions. But the test company doesn't care. I don't know about pa, but I've failed emissions in md for having no muffler on a previous vehicle. Yeah it's rediculous, but it is what it is.

OP
OP
427invader

427invader

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you for thel link Ram-Rod. It is and will continue to be very helpful!

I talked to a town officer and 3 PA state troopers and they all say the same thing. You only need cats in the counties with emission testing, but you need mufflers in all of PA. They also said that they don't bother pulling loud vehicles over unless a complaint is filed and they will not check to see if you have mufflers or cats during a routine traffic stop unless the vehicle is excessively loud or has a very rich exhaust smell.

So in summary you can take your chances or run the loudest muffler or muffler/cat combo.

I burnt out all of the insides of my cats with diesel fuel and painted them with high temp. engine paint before installation. For 3 years now I have passed both state inspection and emissions. However I have to get new mufflers in the near future and am opting for Product Details.

I have heard a lot of good talk about the Magna-Flow cats. For future reference does anyone know the part # or web page for a 3" In/Out cat? Preferably high flow or high performance (which ever is better). And doesn't have to be any specific brand.

Thank you all for your time and the great responses! :favorites13:

Last edited:

Ram-Rod

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That site rocks, and has great info for every state! That being said, CO had muffler laws and I ran a straight pipe on my truck as well as a few VERY loud cars there. I say go for it!

pajeepman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
I believe technically removing cats is a federal violation. Not saying people do not do it............
Alot of shops might not even notice if cats are off if it passes emission testing.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
As I know it cats are a Federal mandated and cannot legally be removed. By law they shouldn't even be moved but folks get away with building custom systems. All shops I know of won't remove a cat as they can be fined. Virginia it is legal to run only cats with no mufflers if not excessively loud. I have in the last few months had two diesels inspected and neither had a muffler. Straight pipe out behind the rear wheel. The 24v is loud and the 12v is not as annoying. Actually just put an Aero 4040xl on the 24v and it sounds good now. This from personal experience but in Virginia. good luck...