Paint, dye, wrap,? Top half interior trim

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ZJARCHER

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I've searched. I've read several threads. All of the media/photos are out of date as most of the threads are old.

I want to "delete" the top half tan interior and headliner on my truck including the dash half that's tan. Who has done it with long term success via dying them, painting them, wrapping in leather,etc??
Any photos? Tips?

A few guys have swapped interior trim pieces to black OEM pieces, but Ive added that up to over $700 from Mopar. I'd like to try a more cost effective method before I go that route. Though if there aren't other options, Ill pony up and do it.

Juniorss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The biggest pain is the headliner. You have to do the front seatbelts aswell to get rid of one piece of tan. I believe it was 1,000 - 1,200 in parts (upper trim, seatbelts, sun visor, rear interior light, overhead console) plus the headliner.

I’m spoiled by my 2020 Laramie night that has a full black interior. I’ve been really debating it in my 2016.

BadHemi2014

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I did this with my 2014 tradesman. I have a regular cab so that made getting the headliner out pretty easy.
I pulled out every trim piece that was tan, pillars, visors, headliner etc and just used Duplicolor vinyl/ fabric spray cans.
I used most of 4 cans, about half can left for touch ups. Here's a couple pics.

20200616_123333.jpg 20200616_123438.jpg
This was back in June and I'm still really pleased with how it turned out. The grab bars show some wear. I should have done a better job cleaning them, maybe some adhesion promoter would help.
All in all you can't beat about $35 and your time.

1SloRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did this with my 2014 tradesman. I have a regular cab so that made getting the headliner out pretty easy.
I pulled out every trim piece that was tan, pillars, visors, headliner etc and just used Duplicolor vinyl/ fabric spray cans.

View attachment 231159 View attachment 231160
This was back in June and I'm still really pleased with how it turned out. The grab bars show some wear. I should have done a better job cleaning them, maybe some adhesion promoter would help.

What was the dry time like? How long did you wait before reinstalling? Does it chip or flake easily? Also, I painted the trim around the dome and coat hangers like you did, looks great.

BadHemi2014

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Dry time is very quick. I sprayed one coat on everything, by then I could start on the next coat. The headliner took quite a few coats.
I let everything sit overnight and reinstalled the next day.
The passenger grab bar looks pretty bad now, I didn't realize how bad till I just took this pic:
20201220_173053.jpg
Drivers side has a couple little places but nothing like this. I'll blame it on my kid lol.
The only other place that shows wear is the visor at the clip:
20201220_173119.jpg
When I get around to touching this up, I'll make sure the clip is smooth and maybe try a few coats of clear nail polish on the visor part to protect it.

No chips or flakes anywhere else, the stuff really seems to bond with the material not just cover it.

1SloRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Dry time is very quick. I sprayed one coat on everything, by then I could start on the next coat. The headliner took quite a few coats.
I let everything sit overnight and reinstalled the next day.
The passenger grab bar looks pretty bad now, I didn't realize how bad till I just took this pic:
View attachment 231211
Drivers side has a couple little places but nothing like this. I'll blame it on my kid lol.
The only other place that shows wear is the visor at the clip:
View attachment 231212
When I get around to touching this up, I'll make sure the clip is smooth and maybe try a few coats of clear nail polish on the visor part to protect it.

No chips or flakes anywhere else, the stuff really seems to bond with the material not just cover it.
Looks awesome man, i’m inspired

OP
OP
Z

ZJARCHER

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD

View attachment 231159 View attachment 231160
Did you duplicolor the headliner too?

BadHemi2014

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yessir I did. It took quite a few coats, and does feel a little stiff, but who feels up their headliner lol.

It still looks good and was the only way I could really hide the water stains from the stupid leaking brake light (I did fix that first).