Passenger seat won't go back and forth

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dakota1820

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would like to fix the issue on my 1995 where the passenger seat will not go forward and back with the lever. The seat back works but not the bottom handle to move it forward or back. Makes getting rear passengers in a pain. Are there parts available? What do I search for? Or is there a Jerry rig way to fix it? I'm up for suggestions.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
the lever under most manual seats, has a spring attached to it that goes to a release mechanism

either the spring just came unhooked or the hook on the spring broke off

OP
OP
D

dakota1820

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
All of that stuff is gone. My guess is it broke and is now missing.

Nealuss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318
Junkyard is your best bet.

OP
OP
D

dakota1820

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah I was really hoping to order them new or make something that would work but it may not be an option.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Yeah I was really hoping to order them new or make something that would work but it may not be an option.
Pretty hard to make them when you don't have a pattern. There are a ton of those Gen2s in junk yards, real easy to get those parts, and they rarely wear out. My 1996 still has perfect operation and that slide system has been used a lot over the years. Just so you know, when you push the seat back forward it should release the catch and allow the seat to slide forward easily, without having to use the lever on the front of the seat.

OP
OP
D

dakota1820

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yea I suppose I'll try a junk yard.. I've never had much success for anything in the past. Seems like they're pretty well used up around here before they go to the bone yard

kayjo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Home Fabrication. Mine is electric, so I cannot tell you a procedure id use, as I have no reference.

in the days of cheap car and truck rental, you could just rent something and part it out, I got a whole new set of rims and tires like this back in college. Just kidding. But I am sure someone would do this at one time or another.

Spike95

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As much as those trucks may be pretty gutted, I would imagine this to be a part that you could still get… especially since it is the passenger side (which usually sees a lot less wear than the driver). Just clean it up, lubricate all the moving parts, and work everything back and forth a bunch to be sure it’s operating nice and smooth.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I would grab a flash light & get your head down there

If i recall correctly:
In one of the sliding rails, there will be a cut out area, with a lever sticking out through it
If you give that lever a tug, it should move, if it does, pull a bit harder & push or pull the seat along the slide rails
There may be a thin wire going from one slide rail to the other

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radikio