Pesky P2609 code (hard, then no starts)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RicM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Got a P2609 code - generic intake heater problem
I'm well versed in electrical work, multi-meters, oscilloscpes, etc.
So...
I checked (and completely removed, cleaned, re-tightened) all connections from batterie to relays and chassis - they were all decent before.
I disconnected the relays and checked each one many many times to be sure they were relaying and not sticking - they were fine.
I measured voltage at all points - all perfect. I measured resistance across the coils of the heater and all was within .1 Ohms - tested many times (without heater connected).
I hate voodoo, but I replaced the relays anyhow - no change. P2609.
I still hate voodoo, but I changed the heater - no change. P2609.
That's all there is to the system: wires, relays, more wires, then the heater. I just decided to let it go and I was going to have the dealer check it out; maybe a bad computer?
Then wifey said that it took three times to start a couple week later. I could not reproduce.
A couple weeks after that, she said it happened again. Again, I could not reproduce.
Out of abundance of caution, I changed the air filter and then the fuel filter. They were probably at the end of their lives anyhow.
But still, I'd not experienced a problem.
When I started the truck after changing the filter, my wife commented that THAT was the sound!
OK! So...then I was hopeful the fuel filter was the trick.
Then it happened to me. Except I could not get the truck to start at all. Frustrated and ready to tow it, I walked away for a couple hours. I kept thinking...Fuel, Air, Spark. I fixed what I could.
So I decided, on a whim, let me re-seat the injector connectors.
OMG! I pulled the first one, and the connector was oily from fuel.
I cleaned it up with contact cleaner and reconnected and bam! Truck started fast and perfectly.
I did the same to the other two connectors, both of which had some leakage inside, but not near as bad as that front one.
I think this was fuel that wicked up from inside, under the valve cover.
But I don't have a lot of experience, so I am not sure if this is one of those things I need to be aware of, or if it's time to get something replaced, or what?
Oh yeah, that code went way the first time I started the truck after cleaning that connector too.
I put a lot of detail because I've been chasing this one down for a long time, and I spent a fait bit of money replacing good parts. So if someone ever searched P2609, they'll have one more thing to check.

In some of the images I found of the engine, those parts are C115-117.
Is that fuel wicking in a sign of something I need to address (beyond knowing and checking it once in a while)?

Thanks!

GaryH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My P2609 error code resulted from a blown fuse used to charge the trailer battery. I was told that any micro voltage changes will feed back through the ECM. It also changed the transmission shifting where it would hold 1st gear for a long time then clunk into 2nd. First shop I tried wanted to change the tranny and heater element. Second shop just replaced the fuse and said he had seen this problem before because of a short in the power windows. Both times I was on vacation and out of state. I'm chasing this again and will try your injector connectors. Thanks for posting.

Longhorn1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Longhorn
Engine
Cummins SO
Well, my new-to-me '19 2500 CTD just threw code P2609. I just checked the connections from the passenger side battery to the grid heater relay and the grid heater. All seem nice and tight and clean. Also , the grid heater bolt is nice and solid, no wiggle. Any thoughts on what the issue might be? The truck has 46k miles on it, and it came from Texas (now in Washington), just over 100 miles on it since it got here. Thank you!

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Well, my new-to-me '19 2500 CTD just threw code P2609. I just checked the connections from the passenger side battery to the grid heater relay and the grid heater. All seem nice and tight and clean. Also , the grid heater bolt is nice and solid, no wiggle. Any thoughts on what the issue might be? The truck has 46k miles on it, and it came from Texas (now in Washington), just over 100 miles on it since it got here. Thank you!
If you have a warranty take it in to see what the dealer has to say, its hard to say how old the code may be if you just got the truck and it starts okay and no other problems

Longhorn1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Longhorn
Engine
Cummins SO
Thank you. I don't think the code was there when I got the truck a couple of weeks ago. I now have an appointment at the local RAM dealer, but I couldn't get in until the end of October.