plugs and wires?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99ramdyllan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.2
my next oil change is coming up and was planning on putting new plugs and wires in it, would E3 plugs give me more power gains than stock, and what wires would i see good gains out of?

any advice would be appreciated.

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The best plug for your truck are the OEM copper plugs by Champion or copper plugs by NGK.

iSlacker816

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 (360ci) Magnum
I replaced mine with copper ones so I couldn't tell ya how the E3's are in the magnum motors but if ya do give us a report.

OP
OP
99ramdyllan

99ramdyllan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.2
did you see any good gains out of the copper plugs?

Hollabakzach23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Stick with copper plugs for sure! Our motors love em and they're cheap! Makes the tune up that much more worth it! I've never heard of anyone using the E3s though.

talon6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 QCSB 4X4
Engine
supercharged 5.9
cheap champion copper plugs, and any good quality wires will work. and donnt forget the dist cap. make sure it has brass contacts and you should be good to go.

ParrotHead FA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 magnum
Ok, I'm probably going to get flamed here, as I see most of you love the good old school copper, but I use Bosch platinum 4 plugs in my '98 ram 5.2. Now I'm not a guy to throw away good money, so trust me, at over $5 a plug, I wouldn't be using these if I didn't truly feel a difference. I don't have any dyno data or anything like that, but the difference I feel is mainly in a smoother idle from cold start. I have 2 older generation trucks, my Ram and a 91 chevy suburban, and everyone always says these engines don't like the muti electrode plugs, and don't like platinum, etc... but I honestly wonder how many people have actually tried them in their older 8 cylinder vehicles? Both of these trucks are garaged, and not driven daily, and with standard style plugs, I would notice a little roughness, almost like 'camming' for the first minute or two when they were started after not being driven for a couple weeks, after switching to the platinum 4's several years ago, this all but disappeared. Even on cold mornings, the idle is very smooth right from the start, and the acceleration seems just a tad smoother also. I'm not even sure if the acceleration could be measured, but it's the kind of thing you notice if you have owned a vehicle for a long time and are used to the way it drives.
The funny thing is, I also have the MSD AL-6 ignition, and MSD dosent recommend platinum plugs with their setups... but I have found they work great. Supposedly it's a wear thing, the MSD ignition is supposed to wear out platinum plugs too fast... not sure about that, because I change mine every 20,000 or so anyway... but as far as performance, they run just fine. Plus, I'd say in a higher mileage vehicle they would be good too, because they have 4 ground elctrodes, to me this might make them more resistant to fouling. I'd say give 'em a try, I have found a lot of stuff over the years that works pretty good just because I was willing to experiment a little and think outside the box.
Dave

fonzyn75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
i ran the e3 plugs in my 98 1500 with a 5.2 cant say there were worth 9$ a plug

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Had some in my 05 Silverado didn't notice any difference between stock and e3

Sent from DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok, I'm probably going to get flamed here, as I see most of you love the good old school copper, but I use Bosch platinum 4 plugs in my '98 ram 5.2. Now I'm not a guy to throw away good money, so trust me, at over $5 a plug, I wouldn't be using these if I didn't truly feel a difference. I don't have any dyno data or anything like that, but the difference I feel is mainly in a smoother idle from cold start. I have 2 older generation trucks, my Ram and a 91 chevy suburban, and everyone always says these engines don't like the muti electrode plugs, and don't like platinum, etc... but I honestly wonder how many people have actually tried them in their older 8 cylinder vehicles? Both of these trucks are garaged, and not driven daily, and with standard style plugs, I would notice a little roughness, almost like 'camming' for the first minute or two when they were started after not being driven for a couple weeks, after switching to the platinum 4's several years ago, this all but disappeared. Even on cold mornings, the idle is very smooth right from the start, and the acceleration seems just a tad smoother also. I'm not even sure if the acceleration could be measured, but it's the kind of thing you notice if you have owned a vehicle for a long time and are used to the way it drives.
The funny thing is, I also have the MSD AL-6 ignition, and MSD dosent recommend platinum plugs with their setups... but I have found they work great. Supposedly it's a wear thing, the MSD ignition is supposed to wear out platinum plugs too fast... not sure about that, because I change mine every 20,000 or so anyway... but as far as performance, they run just fine. Plus, I'd say in a higher mileage vehicle they would be good too, because they have 4 ground elctrodes, to me this might make them more resistant to fouling. I'd say give 'em a try, I have found a lot of stuff over the years that works pretty good just because I was willing to experiment a little and think outside the box.
Dave

You would never get "flamed" here for sharing your experiences.

Roll_HEMI_Tide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Dave

For what it's worth, and to offer a perspective from the other side, I ran some Bosch Platinum Plus plugs in my 5.9L and it like them. Performance was worse than what it was before the tune up.

I swapped them out for some plain ol' NGK copper plugs and she ran like a champ. I would have went with Champion, but for whatever reason Advance didn't have them.

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
There's a method to the madness here ...a multi spark discharge ignition and a spark plug with multiple electrodes would be a perfect match. It's not exactly what the msd was intended for, but it makes perfect sense. You got multiple shots (spark) with 4 electrodes to hit.

Conversly, when you've got one spark pulse but multiple targets to hit, electricity is going to take the path of least resistance and try to hit the same target. Having more electrodes to clean with one spark probably leads to more fouling potential with standard igntions especially in high mileage vehicles. Maybe that's not out of the box, but until engines change thier thinking not much will change. Now...a high mileage engine with a msd box...hmmmm.

It's likely thats why people don't see big gains with hp plugs. It's a small part of a bigger package.

As far as the OPs original question...you're not going to see "big gains" from spark plug wires on a stock engine. Wires are conductors of low current and high voltage... nothing more. Until your air /fuel mixture reaches a point where your stock coil simply won't fire it anymore...uber trik wires the diameter of your pinky are unnessesary.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca