Polishing Chrome Plastic Hood Protector

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

moledodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
DAT HEMIIIIIII 5.7
Hey guys I'm looking for some help here. I have a hood protector that looks great but has visible "specks" on it no matter how much I clean it. I don't know how to polish it since it's not exactly chrome metal. Here's a pic any ideas??

https://m.imgur.com/7YnHHB6

Last edited:

daggertats

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 ram reg cab 4x4
Engine
the link doesnt work......if your talking about the chrome plastic one like i have i use car wax on it and it cleans it up great.

OP
OP
M

moledodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
DAT HEMIIIIIII 5.7
Link should work now

carl0

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
You can try 0000 steel wool combined with a wax or sealant, though try a small spot first.

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited
Engine
6.7 Cummins - Tuned and Deleted
I would definitely not use steel wool on that since it's not real chrome or metal. It's essentially a plastic coating on top of plastic.

Your best bet is going to be a clay bar. Clay bar it just as you would any painted panel on the truck and then throw some sealant or wax on it.

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
You can try 0000 steel wool combined with a wax or sealant, though try a small spot first.

Hahaha! You troller, you. Steel wool is best for cleaning the inside of tinted windows, not plastic chrome.

IMO

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Clay bar, windex, alcohol.... Anything. Did you buy it new? Could someone have applied wax over the spots?

IMO

Brian_Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If it's above surface contaminants a clay bar will work. I would not use Windex or Alcohol though because it will remove any wax it comes in contact with. Most clay bar kits come with a lubricant that will work well. If you are not sure if its above surface put your hand in a plastic sandwich bag and lightly go over to see if you can feel it. You can also use a light polish like Meguiars Ultimate Polish. I've never had any problems with it on chromed plastic. It may be water spots in which case there are many water spot removers. When you finish with either put a couple good coats of wax and/or sealant on it.

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
The pictures look like hard water spots. If that's the case, vinegar should take them off. If its bug residue I use turtle wax bug and tar remover on mine.

rduchateau2954

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
DO NOT STEEL WOOL PLASTIC!! Use a clay bar, then wax it afterwards. The wax will help with bug guts.

Sent from my AS985 using Tapatalk

rduchateau2954

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would definitely not use steel wool on that since it's not real chrome or metal. It's essentially a plastic coating on top of plastic.

Your best bet is going to be a clay bar. Clay bar it just as you would any painted panel on the truck and then throw some sealant or wax on it.
This guy knows what's up

Sent from my AS985 using Tapatalk