Power steering in Break Fluid (2005 Ram)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Coach

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I accidentally put around 2 tablespoons of reconditioner power steering fluid in my break reservoir. I immediately took a syringe and extracted 4 tablespoons of that very fluid out of my break reservoir. Then I just drained the whole reservoir of its fluid. I did not start the truck or hit the breaks once. The power steering fluid was in the reservoir no more than 3-5 minutes before I drained/sucked all the Break Fluid out. I then took some break fluid in a separate cup, dropped some that reconditioning power steering oil on top of it. The power steering fluid sat on the top of the break fluid (they would not mix like oil/water: two types of oil (duh…lol)) My guess? Because I immediately drained the reservoir, put all new break fluid back in, never cycled the contaminated break fluid (touched the breaks even once), and because there was so little power steering I originally put, that I should be good. It’s been a couple weeks and my breaks still feel just fine. Thoughts by real
Mechanics or engineers are super appreciated!!!!

Last edited:

Stavinksi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If it makes you sleep better why not flush the brakes or have it flushed? I’m not familiar with what power steering conditioner is but if it didn’t mix and you sucked it out, seems like it would be ok to me.

mb33458

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 etorque
Many years ago, we had an oil change and the mechanic put power streering fluid In the brake fluid reservoir. The result, as the fluid heated up the brakes would self apply. If it was me I would have the break system flushed and refilled, save on the aggravation.

2020PW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The power steering fluid will make the seals swell. Could also break down the rubber material. Flush the system.

mrsocks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Brakes brake the vehicle unless they break. C'mon. give us a break....find a dictionary.

OP
OP
C

Coach

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just an update:
Brakes are working fine. I am still monitoring, but did two mountain drives in the mean time: zero problems.