Power steps or Rock Sliders

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't plan on doing any serious rock crawling like you see on 4WD 24-7 videos, but I would like to know that my sides are protected. I've been thinking about putting in some rock sliders - especially the ones from WhiteKnuckle that mount to the frame. However my truck is also a daily and on occasion, I do have to take my parents places and it would be great to have those power steps.
To bad that there isn't a products that combines the two. Or is there..?

Any advice?

Freakydude

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
for combo powered sliders not that I am aware of. Personally I like sliders as there are some really nice models that function superbly. The power steps on the other hand can look good and for appearances sake are pretty crazy. I mean nothing shows off better than a step lowering as you open your door. That is amazing, there are some tough ones out there too. either way I am sure you will make a great choice

OP
OP
knightjp

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If it were just me, then yeah I would like to get a set of sliders from White Knuckle and be done with it. However, my rig will soon have a 4 lift and is also a daily driver. I also drive my mom around and she needs to be able to step in and out of the truck. So far, the power steps are the only ones I can see that come lower than more conventional steps, but also tuck in when not in use so that I don't loose ground clearance.
The downside is that they don't seem to offer as much protection to the sills and rocker panels as a slider would.
Ideally, something with a combination of both would be great.

Last edited:

Freakydude

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
the only one I can see if rock slide engineering has a combo unit. not cheap but it does exactly what you want. just google the name and the site will come up. not cheap though

OP
OP
knightjp

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@Freakydude Yeah, I’ve come across their page in my search. They don’t have a product for the Ram as far as I can see. Focus is for more serious off readers like Jeeps and Broncos.

healthyrx

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport Night
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My .02 is for sliders
I like knowing that even with my stock running boards my doors are protected from any door dings unless the vehicle is a truck at least as tall as I am.
I will be upgrading to wheel to wheel steps/sliders at some point

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Once I install my lift I am going to remove my cab mounted nerf/sliders and build my own frame mounted sliders. Full wheel to wheel and slightly narrower than my current sliders. No cab mounted stuff that you can buy is going to be of much off-road protection except for the rocky road sliders which are basically the same setup how I built mine except I didn’t go wheel to wheel. 6 points of contact and 12 bolts per slider with a 2” square tube main rail. I’ve dragged my truck across some stuff and those sliders I made don’t even have a dent on them.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can step on rock sliders, mine are custom rock sliders bolted to the frame and the whole family use them when they step in the truck. they come handy when you're washing the truck roof, protecting the rocker panels from the fun stuff offroad and even preventing soccer moms from reaching your doors with their doors :) The White knuckle ones might even step out a bit further.

52277814206_4652508538_k.jpg2022-08-10_08-32-42 by RAM RSM, on Flickr

52278084264_0b1d2618c5_k.jpg2022-08-10_08-32-53 by RAM RSM, on Flickr

51396451528_22a95d1e86_k.jpg20210822_144824 by RAM RSM, on Flickr

52495172419_c5b98458cf_k.jpg2022-11-12_10-47-08 by RAM RSM, on Flickr

Last edited:
OP
OP
knightjp

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@ram1500rsm They look great. My preference is for sliders. No doubt something less electronic as well as something that has the best protection for the truck is important. However the only issue I will have with the sliders is the fact that once my lift is installed, the step will be higher; maybe too high to be comfortable for my aging parents to get in and out of - specifically my mom.

I was wondering if there was something to accommodate her needs as well. The Power steps fit the bill, but don't seem to fit my requirement for protection.

Last edited: