Program factory key and remote start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bigwave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
I have a 2018 RAM Laramie with "tip start". Before next winter I was going to install the remote start, it does not have it from the factory. The install looks pretty simple, can I program the new keys myself from one of the two working keys? Or do I have to take to a dealer?

Genuine Mopar Remote Start Kit - 82215553

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
You can program them and the remote start yourself with alphaobd otherwise you'd have to take it to the dealer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
B

Bigwave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
Will any odblink work then load the software to an android device (is the software called "alphodb") ? Do I need to get a PIN from the dealer for my particular truck?

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Will any odblink work then load the software to an android device (is the software called "alphodb") ? Do I need to get a PIN from the dealer for my particular truck?

The obdlink mx (+) is the most recommended obd2 device for alphaobd. Others have reported that the elm327 works. I have tested the elm327 and veepeak obd2 readers and they work with simple tasks like changing drl locations. Past that I don't know.

Yes the app is called alphaobd can be directly downloaded from the Google play store for $50. And will work on just about any android device as long as it's running above the 3.0 software (I think it's like 2.4 or something)

Yes you'll need your 4 digit pin for the rf hub. The dealer will probably charge you for it. If it's more than $15 there is a app called Chrysler pin puller that many have used to successfully get there pin. Cost $15 to use.

On the 17+ trucks the fobs that came with your truck already have the remote start feature built in and functional all you have to do is buy new replacement skin's and they work without any extra programming. I did this on my 18 tradesman.

On page 1 of the alphaobd thread if you look for my name, click on the Google drive link and I posted step by step instructions with pictures on how to activate the remote start and program keys

OP
OP
B

Bigwave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
Thanks a ton for helping me here!!

"On the 17+ trucks the fobs that came with your truck already have the remote start feature built in and functional all you have to do is buy new replacement skin's and they work without any extra programming. I did this on my 18 tradesman."

Please advise a little further here. Are you saying if I install the factory remote start wiring and hood latch and get the new skin it will work without any programming?

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Thanks a ton for helping me here!!

"On the 17+ trucks the fobs that came with your truck already have the remote start feature built in and functional all you have to do is buy new replacement skin's and they work without any extra programming. I did this on my 18 tradesman."

Please advise a little further here. Are you saying if I install the factory remote start wiring and hood latch and get the new skin it will work without any programming?

Correct. I installed a new remote start kit programmed the keys then ordered new skin's and my existing keys can control the remote start. There may be a thread linked on page 1 of the alphaobd thread on the factory remote install that covers it.

OP
OP
B

Bigwave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
Do you recall where you ordered the remote skins from?

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Do you recall where you ordered the remote skins from?

Do you have push button start (highline) or the regular keyfob (baseline)

OP
OP
B

Bigwave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
I do not have push button start but I do have the one touch start where you just turn the electronic key and let it go, it starts itself from there. I forget the exact term that Ram calls that.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
OP
OP
B

Bigwave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
Question, if my 2018 Laramie is already equipped with remote start, and yes my keyfob does have the contacts inside it. Why can't I just short the connection in the fuse box? Isn't that the only thing the hood latch does is short one connection so you can't remote start with the hood up? It would take me about 5 min to install a safety button under the hood that would do the same thing (yes I would do this), that, if the button was out the remote start wouldn't work. This would save me about $249.99

OP
OP
B

Bigwave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
Still looking for some information. I have the new hood latch installed, the wire ran and installed to the BCM on my 2018 RAM Laramie, I did change the key fob cover to one with the remote start, I was hoping it would work, but it does not. Truck still starts and runs fine, but will not remote start. I assume I'll have to take it to a dealer or find someone with a programmer.
The remote start also came with 2 more keys which I'd like to have at least one more to leave in the truck.
So, what exactly am I asking the dealer to do?
1) enable the remote start option? Is there a technical term or requests, will they even do it?
2) Will they have to reprogram all 4 keys or just the 2 new ones?

Any help appreciated, thanks.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Still looking for some information. I have the new hood latch installed, the wire ran and installed to the BCM on my 2018 RAM Laramie, I did change the key fob cover to one with the remote start, I was hoping it would work, but it does not. Truck still starts and runs fine, but will not remote start. I assume I'll have to take it to a dealer or find someone with a programmer.
The remote start also came with 2 more keys which I'd like to have at least one more to leave in the truck.
So, what exactly am I asking the dealer to do?
1) enable the remote start option? Is there a technical term or requests, will they even do it?
2) Will they have to reprogram all 4 keys or just the 2 new ones?

Any help appreciated, thanks.

You'll either have to have the dealer add the sales code for remote start or get alphaobd, obdlink mx, and either a windows based laptop or Android device and you can program it yourself. Same with the keys. The dealer can program them or you can with alphaobd.

2018 2500 6.4L Tradesman

OP
OP
B

Bigwave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
Thanks
I Called the dealer he said no big deal and would program all keys and turn remote start on for 40 or 45 bucks, for that I won't mess with it, I've read so many horror stories of dealer charging a ton I was afraid to ask, he sounded like no big deal or cost.

OP
OP
B

Bigwave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
Final report on keyfob and remote start project.
Found a guy on Ebay who was selling the kit with 2 keyfobs for $180 no tax and free shipping, OEM Mopar parts.
Bought new skins for my 2 existing remotes from ebay can't remember the cost, not too much.
Installed the hood latch, ran the wire to my BCM trough the same sport in firewall my hood latch goes through, two wires, one ground one plugged into back of BCM.
The BCM did already have a wire in the #11 spot, popped it out tapped it off, and put the new wire from the hood latch in, I did have to take my Amp out, to get to the BCM, that was the hardest part of the whole project.
Dealer had my truck for just over 3 hours to reprogram 4 keys (two original plus the 2 that came with the kit), tech said something about having to wait an hour after one update to add remote start and another taking a long time to down load.
Dealer stuck to his word, $45 bucks out the door, all done.
I now have 4 fully working keyfobs and remote start. Total cost $225

Thanks for the help and info!!!

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That is a good deal considering the dealer was involved!

Transparts101

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Final report on keyfob and remote start project.
Found a guy on Ebay who was selling the kit with 2 keyfobs for $180 no tax and free shipping, OEM Mopar parts.
Bought new skins for my 2 existing remotes from ebay can't remember the cost, not too much.
Installed the hood latch, ran the wire to my BCM trough the same sport in firewall my hood latch goes through, two wires, one ground one plugged into back of BCM.
The BCM did already have a wire in the #11 spot, popped it out tapped it off, and put the new wire from the hood latch in, I did have to take my Amp out, to get to the BCM, that was the hardest part of the whole project.
Dealer had my truck for just over 3 hours to reprogram 4 keys (two original plus the 2 that came with the kit), tech said something about having to wait an hour after one update to add remote start and another taking a long time to down load.
Dealer stuck to his word, $45 bucks out the door, all done.
I now have 4 fully working keyfobs and remote start. Total cost $225

Thanks for the help and info!!!
Did you replace the RF hub and antenna ?

OP
OP
B

Bigwave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
I did not have to nor did I replace the RF Hub and antenna. There was no factory wire harness in my truck for the new hood latch but I only had to run the wire harness and plug in one wire to the BCM. Exactly what I listed is what I did, nothing more.

OP
OP
B

Bigwave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
2018 Laramie 2500, 6.7 , crew cab, 4x4
Funny thing is the truck has nearly every other option available but did not have remote start.
But, it does now!! :cheers:

This all really started with I wanted a spare key fob to leave inside the truck so if I ever had to use my hidden key to get in due to lost keys I had one to leave in the truck and shut the alarm off. I positively REFUSE to pay $240 a year for the UConnect service so I can do this stuff from my phone. What a racket and bunch of BS, 65K truck and they want another $240 a year for remote unlock or notice service.
Not sure why Ram doesn't wake up and put a key pad outside on door like Ford does, that's a "home-dam-run" for Ford and I personally know it has cost Ram some truck sales. I was a whisper away from a Ford for the "Free" service they provided and the keypad.

Last edited: