Question about starting/ignition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mralaskan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey,

Just wondering..
When you turn the key to ignition it automatically engages the starter for a few seconds even if you only turn the key quickly and then let go. If you understand what I'm referring to... it's not required to hold the key while the starter is going, you only need to turn the key quickly and the let go and the starter will go until the engine start. Its like when you hit the turn signal on some cars, often german, and the turn signal will automatically go for a few seconds.

Anyways, the question is, is it a computer or a relay that is doing this work? Is it the starter relay or where is this component?
AND is it possible to bypass this procedure, if I want to install a manual start press button switch going directly to the starter solenoid. I've only done this on older cars, and its simple, is it the same with this truck? ... Thanks

Dodge ram 1500, 2008, hemi 5,7

Runaround

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’m pretty sure it is a relay that causes this, but I have no idea how to bypass it or even why you would want to do that.

OP
OP
M

mralaskan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’m pretty sure it is a relay that causes this, but I have no idea how to bypass it or even why you would want to do that.
On older cars, when the key or ignition wasnt working, I'd set up a new relay and run cables to a push button and the starter solenoid, thus bypassing the original wiring, so I could start the car. And its also useful to bypass if you want to crank the engine with ignition off during repair or trouble shooting.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OP, that is called Tip Starting. Been around for a while. Once U engage solenoid, it will spin for a set period to attempt to start vehicle.

Tip start is a function that automatically takes over the job of starting your truck once you either press the start button on the dash or double press of the start button on your key fob. It will run the starter motor for up to 10 seconds in an attempt to start the truck. If the truck starts at any time before the 10 seconds is up, tip start will automatically stop and disengage the starter motor. If the truck fails to start after 10 seconds, you must wait 15 seconds before attempting to restart the truck to prevent damage to the starter motor.

ADDED: Built into ECU and relays. U might be able to wire around, not sure that is a good idea, as the ignition system is all intergrated with the TIPM< ECU< BCM modules. I would mess with at At yer Risk.

OUT OF THE MANAUAL: Disregard Auto start 8 speed at end.

tp1.JPGtp2.JPG

OP
OP
M

mralaskan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OP, that is called Tip Starting. Been around for a while. Once U engage solenoid, it will spin for a set period to attempt to start vehicle.

Tip start is a function that automatically takes over the job of starting your truck once you either press the start button on the dash or double press of the start button on your key fob. It will run the starter motor for up to 10 seconds in an attempt to start the truck. If the truck starts at any time before the 10 seconds is up, tip start will automatically stop and disengage the starter motor. If the truck fails to start after 10 seconds, you must wait 15 seconds before attempting to restart the truck to prevent damage to the starter motor.

ADDED: Built into ECU and relays. U might be able to wire around, not sure that is a good idea, as the ignition system is all intergrated with the TIPM< ECU< BCM modules. I would mess with at At yer Risk.

OUT OF THE MANAUAL: Disregard Auto start 8 speed at end.

View attachment 533432View attachment 533433
Nice job, thanks!

Now, is this function a part of the solenoid or in a relay/computer?

OP
OP
M

mralaskan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It would be at my own risk yes, but I fail to see the problems with bypassing this. The key still activates the start up and boots everything up, the last turn position in the ignition lock is only to send a signal to the solenoid. As far as Im aware...

However, thanks for the info about Tip starting.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nice job, thanks!

Now, is this function a part of the solenoid or in a relay/computer?
Function I would think would be computer/relay in combo. But I am no mechanic. Gone are the days of a hot wire to a solenoid for me anyway.
Solenoid just receives power, engages and turns starter. so really gotta be relay/computer combo. If I think old school, in theory hot wire engaged to solenoid probably work, have done that to work fuel pumps and such, but been a long time since button to start, now going back to old M151A1 Jeeps, back in my Army days, the old clutch in, left heel hit button, lol.

Your ride OP, do what works for U. Figured just furnish U the info on tip start and then U grab that ball and run.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357