Question on TruXedo Pro x15 bed cover?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DanAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Just finished installing one on my 2023 RAM today and followed instructions to the letter. Looks great but I’m somewhat disappointed in the seal at the tail gate. The cover stops a bit short and the rubber flap extends down the inside the tailgate. Probably going to be OK as leakage there will probably run down under the Bed Rug tailgate cover I have on it and out the bottom but I was hoping for a better seal. I can’t latch the cover after closing the tailgate to get the rubber to lay on top of the tailgate - the cover won‘t compress down far enough to catch the latch and I don’t see any easy way to adjust the latch to raise it a little. So i have to close the tailgate after latching the cover which traps the seal inside.

Has anyone found a way to make this closure at the back work a little better?

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
Personally, I think it sounds like an install error. I would venture to guess that you may have it installed slightly too far forward. This happens often when installing a hardcover.

OP
OP
DanAR

DanAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I set the front rail flange exactly 3/8” off the front bed rail per the instructions. The cover is actually right at the forward edge of the tailgate. If I were to move it any to the rear it would start to ride up over the tailgate which would make the problem even worse. Right now if I latch the top and close the tailgate - catching the weatherstrip on the inside - you can see down behind the end of the cover and the tailgate and see my BedRug TG cover.

After working on it some more I’ve found the problem is flexing in the lower flange of the rail. And, although the bottom bend of the rail is a true 90 degrees, with it clamped to the bed side, the bottom flange and latch are not sitting flat but are angled slightly down towards the center of the bed. With the rubber flap position over the top of the tail gate the top bar can’t be depressed enough to catch the latch hook.

I came up with a temporary brace to wedge under the rail to level it out and keep it from deflecting. It closes well now - but not too elegant. I might get a bit of relief moving the cover rails another 1/8 inch forward which I might try after the holidays but that latch and bottom flange sitting at an angle are an issue.

IMG_1135.jpegIMG_1134.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
DanAR

DanAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Strolling around with Google on the internet I found what appears to be a different set of X15 installation instructions than the ones that came with my cover - I assume an earlier version. They have a couple of steps that focus on trying to install the bed rails so that the lower flange is level. This is missing in my instructions although it does briefly describe how to use the clamps to lower or raise the profile of the assembly some. I think the bed caps are to flexible to let me get there (level flange) but I’ll see what I can do with it and maybe get rid of my stick.

OP
OP
DanAR

DanAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Figured out that I wasn’t placing the clamps quite all the way to the top of the rail and that you have to push up and and rotate the rail outward while tightening the clamps to get the flange to sit level and latch properly.

Left-lane

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My Truxedo instructions say the preferred tailgate closure is to lift the end of the cover (as if you were starting to roll it up)... then close the tailgate and finally lower the cover with the flap resting on the top of the tailgate. This method keeps water out of my bed. Hope you have a good set of fixes now..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat