Questions about my 2nd gen

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ryan98

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
I am about to buy a super clean, ‘98 Ram 1500 Sport 2x4, single cab with only 64,900 miles. It is in perfect condition with only a few issues. (like a door lock not working) I was wondering if anyone could tell me some pros and cons/problems that I need to look out for, so that I can keep this truck on the road for many years. Thank you

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Love the 2nd gens Ryan. Best advice my dad gave me was keep up of the preventative maintenance, brakes, oil, filters, radiator, etc. you get the idea, and you'll get the most out of it. All vehicles have inherent issues, but this will at least keep the simple stuff from keeping you down.
Post a picture when you get it, we'd love to see it, RCSB are some our favorites.
Remember: Threads suck without pictures. lol

Saighdiuir

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Transmissions can be "fragile" and just about all of these trucks have a plenum that will fail. Plan to put an upgraded plenum gasket (& bolts) on it if you buy it. Lots of us purchased the aluminum aftermarket plenum.

RodeoRam

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^^YES!^^

My 46RE died, but it waited until after the 100k warranty expired. Did all the PM on it, but it did not help when a line clogged causing it to overheat.

Front brakes and rotors didn't last very long, either, but my 2001 being a quad cab long bed 4x4 is heavier so yours should last longer. There are better aftermarket pads and rotors out there.

Front end goes, too, mainly ball joints.

The upper dash pads fall apart, but I don't remember if it was all 2nd gens or just the 2001's.

Bottoms of the doors and rocker panels rust through, but yours may not being in AZ.

With all that, though, mine is a good truck. 330k miles don't lie.

Good luck with it.

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
If I got that truck...

I'd change the oil, do a tuneup, flush the cooling system, inspect the hoses, and change the transmission fluid and filter. Then I'd change the power steering fluid and check the A/C freon. Oh, flush and inspect the brake system and maybe replace the serpentine belt and idler pulley/tensioner.

From there, I'd just drive it. Thing looks like a museum piece.

Finally, a front end alignment.

After that, just replace what wears out. From there save up for a front bumper repair.
Use quality parts, not Autozone crap.

OP
OP
Ryan98

Ryan98

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
Thank you all for the help, I really do appreciate it! God bless.

Dodgeram77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There is an Auto/Transm. Pressure sensor/seloniod that has a tendency to go bad, symptoms are hard/rough shifting,no power, poor gas mileage,etc.You will have to remove the Transm. Pan to replace it.If you have the 5.2 that is a very good/reliable engine, that's a nice looking truck you bought