Rear Air bag blew out on new Ram 2500 and was not even close to overloaded

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matt Nedbalek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
On our second trip out with our new Ram 2500 6.7 cummins crew cab, factory goose neck convenience fifth wheel package and $1600 factory air rear suspension 8' bed pulling our 2006 Ragen 34' fifth wheel " which I had towed probably 200 times with my old 3/4 ton Diesel" One of the rear factory air suspension air bags blew out. The truck has 1000 miles on it, and the dealer said that their code reader told them it was overloaded. They went on from there to tell me that it was now my problem to pay to have the truck fixed.

Help! there is absolutely no way the truck was overloaded! I am 50 years old and have been pulling trailers on a weekly basis all my adult life. I am also a Lead Technician for the City of Twin Falls my job is to troubleshoot, diagnose and fix various things that are broken. Do you think they gave me this job just because I'm half way good looking. There is a problem with this truck, it was by no means even close to being overloaded.

Any suggestions? The dealership says it is out of their hands and all on me to fix it.

Jus Cruisin

Gearhead
Reaction score
Metro Detroit area after 28 years in Florida
Ram Year
2019 Limited 4X4
Engine
E-torque hemi
Was the dealer you went to the selling dealer? One, that's who you should deal with. Two, ask to sit down with the service manager and explain the occurrence in a non-confrontational manner and see what happens. Some pictures of the rig hooked up will help. Three, if it's still "no", then ask for the area's FCA service reps phone number and work up the ladder. A PM to ramcares might help, as well.

farmallboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Your case could easily be made if you can prove your particular trailer could never exceed payload.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
Do you have a scale tickets showing your axle weights empty, and hooked up? What is the payload on your door jamb?

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
Your case could easily be made if you can prove your particular trailer could never exceed payload.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I would tend to agree with this, but it does not mean he did not load in something else. NOT SAYING he did, just looking at it from their perspective.

RandomRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I hate to be the negative poster but it sounds like you should have bought a 3500. Payload on your truck is around 2300lbs including passengers. I suspect your pin weight alone exceeds that once your trailer is loaded up.

Jim M

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 e-torque
I hate to be the negative poster but it sounds like you should have bought a 3500. Payload on your truck is around 2300lbs including passengers. I suspect your pin weight alone exceeds that once your trailer is loaded up.
Dry hitch weight for the M3405 is listed a 2030# and it doesn't take much to add up to 270# (that's just me with my boots on:Sumo:), so I think you're right about that. There should be some safety margin, but that wouldn't apply to a failure claim.

It's not apples to apples, but the overload warning on my 2019 1500 Limited went off and it turned the airbags off. I dumped freshwater and moved weight to the back of my travel trailer to relieve the pin weight.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iralee