Rear differential whine at 43-50mph

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sportsman70003

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I bought this truck used and it had a roar in the rear differential. It turned out to be a pinion bearing and race was bad. I bought all new components for the rear differential. New bearings, new carrier, new spider gears, new axle gears, new ring gear and pinion. My problem is with all the new stuff I have a whine around 43-50mph and is loudest at 46mph. The whine is there when accelerating and deceleration. I have the backlash set at .007 and have attached 2 pictures off the drive and coast pattern. I can say going to a thicker oil did quieten it down some. Anyone have any suggestions?

drive pattern
drive pattern.jpg

coast pattern
coost pattern.jpg

BrianandChrissy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 big horn crew cab
Engine
5.7 hemi, vararam CAI
I bought this truck used and it had a roar in the rear differential. It turned out to be a pinion bearing and race was bad. I bought all new components for the rear differential. New bearings, new carrier, new spider gears, new axle gears, new ring gear and pinion. My problem is with all the new stuff I have a whine around 43-50mph and is loudest at 46mph. The whine is there when accelerating and deceleration. I have the backlash set at .007 and have attached 2 pictures off the drive and coast pattern. I can say going to a thicker oil did quieten it down some. Anyone have any suggestions?

drive pattern
View attachment 135317

coast pattern
View attachment 135318
Did you properly break it in according to manufacturer specifications?

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
sportsman70003

sportsman70003

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did you properly break it in according to manufacturer specifications?

I broke it in with 90 weight for 500 miles. It whined from the start.

Last edited:
OP
OP
sportsman70003

sportsman70003

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
About 700 miles now. I changed the fluid at 500 miles. I went with a thicker oil and it help quieten it down some.

BrianandChrissy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 big horn crew cab
Engine
5.7 hemi, vararam CAI
About 700 miles now. I changed the fluid at 500 miles. I went with a thicker oil and it help quieten it down some.
Maybe dump the fluid after another 300 miles and see if there is still an abundance of shavings. If not, they will most likely quiet down as time goes on. I hope all works out for you bud.

OP
OP
sportsman70003

sportsman70003

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Maybe dump the fluid after another 300 miles and see if there is still an abundance of shavings. If not, they will most likely quiet down as time goes on. I hope all works out for you bud.

When I dumped it out at 500 miles fluid was clean with no shavings. I checked the backlash again and it was still .007 where I set it. I'll change it again in a few hundred miles to see if anything shows up. The wear marks on the ring gear looked good.

dexter

Banned
Reaction score

What fluid are you using?

BrianandChrissy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 big horn crew cab
Engine
5.7 hemi, vararam CAI
When I dumped it out at 500 miles fluid was clean with no shavings. I checked the backlash again and it was still .007 where I set it. I'll change it again in a few hundred miles to see if anything shows up. The wear marks on the ring gear looked good.
Good news. I bet all is just fine.