Rear Light problem w/ 96 6bt

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cwyatt70

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996, 1998
Engine
p pump 6bt, 360
Hello all, first post here. I have a 96 2500 6bt 4x4. I have a custom flatbed and lights that I have installed. All has worked great for about a year. I noticed last week that my brake, turn, and hazard lights have all stopped working with headlights or parking lights on. They all function normally without lights on. Everything else works and Ive checked every fuse. Several days of head scratching has sent me here. Any thoughts????

OP
OP
C

cwyatt70

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996, 1998
Engine
p pump 6bt, 360
20200117_180002.jpg 20200117_175945.jpg

Here is the truck with lights working!

Joe w.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2l
Welcome nice looking truck. Might be a bad ground somewhere. Not sure but might have something to do with the headlight switch

ViolentMouse

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
Going out on a limb here.... when a switched wire like a tail light wire is not powered up, it usually acts as a ground.... when you turn on the headlights and the tail lights are on, the ground for the other lights is probably lost. most likely a wiring issue which resulted in the ground being leached from another circuit. very common.

Do you have access to the wiring diagrams for the stop/turn lights as well as the running/parking lights?

I don't remember if the 96 has the lamp out monitor system, if it does not then you can just make a new ground for all of your lights and then verify that all the power wires are giving a good clean signal.

I have seen lots of people over the years wire things up to a wire that showed a good strong ground, only to find out later it was a power wire but was being fed a ground through the load device it was meant to power. (headlight are really common place for wiring mistakes because when they are on you see 12 volts on the supply wire, but when they are off, they make a solid ground.

years ago we used this to install starter kill switched in cigarette lighters and power mirror buttons.... normally when a car has the key on those circuits are powered, but on some cars, when cranking they fall to a ground. use a relay that has a constant 12v power and is switched by a ground that is only a ground when cranking and the relay will close letting you start the car, once the key goes back to the run position, the relay gets 12v on both sides and opens back up again.

I would start by taking the ground wire off one of the stop/turn lamps and just putting it on a good chassis ground and testing it out. if it starts working then you know the ground was tied to the switched tail lamp power and it was getting a ground through a bulb.

OP
OP
C

cwyatt70

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996, 1998
Engine
p pump 6bt, 360
great thanks for the help. Ill investigate in a bit and get back to you.

OP
OP
C

cwyatt70

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996, 1998
Engine
p pump 6bt, 360
Violent mouse thanks for the tips. It was a transient ground problem. Solved and back on the road. Much appreciated