Rear sway bar links, Rear upper or rear lower control arms.. which first?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

healthyrx

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport Night
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Does anybody have any input on what will make the biggest improvement in ride quality/ best bang for the buck to do first?
I will be doing suspension maxx front end links but I can't decide between upper or lower rear control arms or rear end links?
For the control arms I think that I would be going with the clayton overland + control arms
I don't know what brand sway bar end links to go with

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Rear sway bar links won't affect anything if you're not lifted in the rear, there's nothing insufficient about the OE ones.

If the rear is lifted enough to bind the rear sway bar then longer links that return it to a neutral position can reduce some roughness on-road and improve articulation off-road.

OP
OP
healthyrx

healthyrx

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport Night
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Rear sway bar links won't affect anything if you're not lifted in the rear, there's nothing insufficient about the OE ones.

If the rear is lifted enough to bind the rear sway bar then longer links that return it to a neutral position can reduce some roughness on-road and improve articulation off-road.
Have the rear lifted about 1 inch from the eibach pro lift I installed

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
core 4x4 rear links are what I’m running. I installed the 2” longer because I’m running extended length rear shocks that allow for 2 or 3” droop over stock. You could get away with just the 1” longer for your setup. Also, the lower control arms are more beneficial than uppers but if you are doing either it’s better to do both. However as stated the stock arms really aren’t that bad. I went with Clayton as well but more so to have something with stiffer bushings than stock. Since you are lifted you need to loosen the stock bolts and retorque them at the new ride height to prevent any unwanted wear on them from being stressed.
Edit: also none of this should change your ride quality unless you have parts that have failed or are failing.

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
Does anybody have any input on what will make the biggest improvement in ride quality/ best bang for the buck to do first?
I will be doing suspension maxx front end links but I can't decide between upper or lower rear control arms or rear end links?
For the control arms I think that I would be going with the clayton overland + control arms
I don't know what brand sway bar end links to go with
Core 4x4 is a great option for rear swaybar endliks. Suspension Maxx front endlinks would be more beneficial and rear lower control arms are the go to if you’re only planning to do one or the other

OP
OP
healthyrx

healthyrx

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport Night
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Core 4x4 is a great option for rear swaybar endliks. Suspension Maxx front endlinks would be more beneficial and rear lower control arms are the go to if you’re only planning to do one or the other
I am planning to do everything eventually, just not all at once, so just wondering what the best first step is following suspension maxx front end links.
Also , both you and @crazykid1994 say lower control arms are the way to go, what is the reason for them being "more??" beneficial than upper?

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
I am planning to do everything eventually, just not all at once, so just wondering what the best first step is following suspension maxx front end links.
Also , both you and @crazykid1994 say lower control arms are the way to go, what is the reason for them being "more??" beneficial than upper?
Ahhh questions like that are @ram1500rsm favorite. You might want to take notes because he is about to drown you in knowledge. You'll learn more from him in one paragraph than you learned in high school.

As far as doing it in stages is the way most everyone does. Sometimes we change our minds and start down a new path and direction along the way. Its all part of the passion, learning experience, and fun. The bigger tires you just put on changed the behavior of your truck, like most you'll research tire pressure and learn that they take a bit more to stop. (Rolling mass) that is how you'll learn more. If you decide that you want to do some spirited driving from a red light and mash the skinny pedal you'll learn what wheel hop is, LOL. Wheel hop will break stuff, for example rear lower control arms will eliminate wheel hop. Depending on what control arms you choose some will allow you to articulate more in an obstacle, Re-center your axle, change axle angle etc. Ram1500rsm will normally provide illustrations and diagrams while he explains so go get your note pad and a sharp #2 pencil

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes. Lower takes the brunt of the hit which is why lower is recommended first. When the axle twists it pushes the lower control arms and pulls the upper. If your bushings are soft in the lowers it allows the axle to twist or warp and that will allow the tires to do some funny things causing wheel hop. Stiffening up the lower control arm helps prevent warping or twisting and reduces wheel hop.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
I did my lowers so far only plus the end links both are CORE 4X4 ... might end up getting the full set of clayton offroad upper, lowers and panhard and probably will put up the core 4x4 lower control arms up for sale soon .... they are black by the way ...

But yes, go with the lower control arms first, that made a big difference with how planted my truck is now ...then the end links helped even more ...

Gary2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just to add a little to this as I thought rear lowers would be enough to control the rear in rough roads in turns which it did but as far as wheel hop its still there. Lowers are Core with JJ's in both ends and 5100's shocks and Eibach springs . I will eventually do the uppers but not that concerned any more

Last edited:

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
Just to add a little to this as I thought rear lowers would be enough to control the rear in rough roads in turns which is did but as far as wheel hop its still there. Lowers are Core with JJ's in both ends and 5100's shocks and Eibach springs . I will eventually do the uppers but not that concerned any more
Maybe being a single cab just the lowers are not enough? On the 4 door trucks wheel hop has been eliminated on all the ones we've done most of which were pushing 600+ HP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
Just to add a little to this as I thought rear lowers would be enough to control the rear in rough roads in turns which it did but as far as wheel hop its still there. Lowers are Core with JJ's in both ends and 5100's shocks and Eibach springs . I will eventually do the uppers but not that concerned any more
That is what I have, the Tier 4 lowers and end links

Lyle Longboat

2011 Ram 1500 5.7 Sport CC
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought trier 3 upper/lower control, and tier 4 panhard bar. I sent in my measurements to Spence at core and they custom made my
Links to switch out the Fabtech end links. I added the Hellwig sway bar and the truck is strong on the back end.

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
Core 4x4 upper and lower control arms just popped up in the for sale section from @H1Chester