Recommendation for 2023 RAM Running Boards (crew cab)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Left-lane

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have the AMP Power steps on my 2023 RAM REBEL and love them much better than the static running boards that came with my 2018 Big Horn. AMP sells an override switch for around $150 which was part of my installation. If you search the web for "amp research power step override switch" several pop-up for $169.00.

Mike Wenrich

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2004.5, 2023 RAM 2500 Laramie 4x4
Engine
5.9 Diesel, 6.4 Hemi
I called AMP tech and was told the switch will retract the steps after 20-30 minutes even if you deploy them while parked. Not worth the buck fifty to me if that is the case. Actually they quoted a higher price. More like $170 plus shipping of course.

Wmjohn

Reaction score
Ram Year
For basic but nice looking black running board you cant beat the APS Iboard. They are all powder coated metal. On Amazon, The cab length is $199 annd w to w is $259. Real truck has them for lots more.

I installed mine in about 2 hours, and they are rock solid. They'll be on my truck until it goes to the crusher!

Wmjohn

Reaction score
Ram Year
APS Wheel to Wheel Running Boards 6-inch Compatible with Ram 1500 2019-2024 Crew Cab 6.5ft Bed (Exclude 19-24 Ram 1500 Classic) Stainless Steel (Nerf Bars Side Steps Side Bars) https://a.co/d/eIavfiV

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Factory Power boards on 2021 2500. I leave them deployed in parking lots, good door protection. Really nice for short people or those with mobility issues. They do not protect the rocker panels from gravel rash, I am adding Bushwackers for that.

Added bed steps to keep down the rocks being thrown forward off the rear tires and will add Bushwacker sill guards to protect from rocks thrown backwards off the front tires. I tried 3M on the rocker panels and down the sides but it is not nearly tough enough to stand up to a lot of gravel hits.

1706114057100.jpeg
1706114069756.jpeg
1706114083105.jpeg
1706114103680.jpeg

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
Heres my train of thought, not that it matters.

Anything that will go wrong will and as these simple devices become more complicated so does the failure rate or complete loss of use. Does a step really need to be motorized? you have multiple failure points and everything in these items will fail (Motor, relays, modules etc). What happens when they fail? Step is locked out or in so you either scrap it on everything or you can't use it. Replacement part cost is probably high as well and as long as its available. I think the retractable steps are cool and work but also believe in KISS.

Fixed steps are more reliable but then you have to worry about rust and things like that. All steps rust even the SS ones as they are usually just the outside shinny part and not the brackets or mounting points. I have yet to see a fully SS step brackets and all. I've had 3 versions of steps on all my vehicles but never powered due to costs and complexity. Black painted SS... eventually rusted, fabbed westin drop steps rusted, and now my factory mopar on my 2024 which are a HD plastic which is interesting. I didn't realize they were plastic which is nice bc it won't rust at least. Brackets are still steel but the actual step won't rust out which is all that you see. Fixed steps also provide impact resistance to things like carts and things getting flung up by the wheels etc. I went to look at a new limited a few weeks ago and the retractable step came out and almost took out my leg.

Anything painted or powercoated will fail over time as well. Aluminum still corrodes and looks just as bad as rust.

My vote would be fixed vs retractable as it has more positives than negatives.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Heres my train of thought, not that it matters.

Anything that will go wrong will and as these simple devices become more complicated so does the failure rate or complete loss of use. Does a step really need to be motorized? you have multiple failure points and everything in these items will fail (Motor, relays, modules etc). What happens when they fail? Step is locked out or in so you either scrap it on everything or you can't use it. Replacement part cost is probably high as well and as long as its available. I think the retractable steps are cool and work but also believe in KISS.

Fixed steps are more reliable but then you have to worry about rust and things like that. All steps rust even the SS ones as they are usually just the outside shinny part and not the brackets or mounting points. I have yet to see a fully SS step brackets and all. I've had 3 versions of steps on all my vehicles but never powered due to costs and complexity. Black painted SS... eventually rusted, fabbed westin drop steps rusted, and now my factory mopar on my 2024 which are a HD plastic which is interesting. I didn't realize they were plastic which is nice bc it won't rust at least. Brackets are still steel but the actual step won't rust out which is all that you see. Fixed steps also provide impact resistance to things like carts and things getting flung up by the wheels etc. I went to look at a new limited a few weeks ago and the retractable step came out and almost took out my leg.

Anything painted or powercoated will fail over time as well. Aluminum still corrodes and looks just as bad as rust.

My vote would be fixed vs retractable as it has more positives than negatives.
Long winded:cool: but accurate. Only part you missed, fixed low enough to work for short people and those with mobility problems would be too low to drive around with. The single biggest benefit to motorized is they cut the step-in distance in half, while tucking up real tight when not in use..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357