Recommendation for 2023 RAM Running Boards (crew cab)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2023 RAM 1500 crewcab, Bighorn, in brilliant white.

I'd like to purchase running boards for it. While the truck doesn't have a ton of trim, it has enough bling, for my tastes. That said, I'm considering just going with basic black, without any chrome or polished construction or trim.

My RAM has understated style (IMHO). The tires are black walls as are the door handles. The black running boards seem like they'd blend with that well. I've included a few picture attachments here, to get a flavor of the truck as it sits.

I'd sort of like to stick with an OEM part (maybe something that has RAM cast into the plastic) but am not stuck on it.

What recommendations do you have, and where would you say is the best place to shop for them.

I live in the Chicagoland area and would consider a set of mint take offs, in case someone is thinking of upgrading or ?

Thank you and I look forward to your suggestions.

20230930_184237.jpg
20230829_185820.jpg

Attachments

• 20230909_191045.jpg
    20230909_191045.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 8
OP
OP
R
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Running boards? Or step bars?

Are you wanting a step, rocker protector, or…

Personally I like my AMP power steps.
I think running boards is what I'm looking for. Here's a few picture examples of my '01 Ford pickup truck. This is what I'm looking for.

Those Power Bars are cool, but I'm fine with keeping it simple.
20231109_162913.jpg20231109_162823.jpg

Attachments

• 20231109_163017.jpg
    20231109_163017.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 3

Mike Wenrich

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2004.5, 2023 RAM 2500 Laramie 4x4
Engine
5.9 Diesel, 6.4 Hemi
I have a new 2023 with the after market AMP retracting boards. I really like them for a couple reasons and dislike for one reason. The AMP boards have a 5" wide step which is really nice for my size 14 shoes and for my now advanced age. They are also lighted for nighttime use but that is probably not necessary with all the lighting in the truck when you open a door. They are expensive. Mine were $2100 installed. They tuck away out of sight so you won't get any bling outta them. The one down side for me is that you have no protection against door dings. My 2004 has external step boards that have prevented a lot of the shopping cart/car dings. It looks like you have a 4x4 and if you do serious off roading it might be a good idea to get the retracting style. And if you have small feet any of them will work. :)

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
I have a new 2023 with the after market AMP retracting boards. I really like them for a couple reasons and dislike for one reason. The AMP boards have a 5" wide step which is really nice for my size 14 shoes and for my now advanced age. They are also lighted for nighttime use but that is probably not necessary with all the lighting in the truck when you open a door. They are expensive. Mine were $2100 installed. They tuck away out of sight so you won't get any bling outta them. The one down side for me is that you have no protection against door dings. My 2004 has external step boards that have prevented a lot of the shopping cart/car dings. It looks like you have a 4x4 and if you do serious off roading it might be a good idea to get the retracting style. And if you have small feet any of them will work. :)

I apologize for going off on a tangent to the OP’s question, but FYI you CAN use the AMP steps as door guards *if* you get the optional manual control switch. That lets you override the door sensor and force the steps to either stay up, or remain deployed. I use it frequently in parking lots. Power mirrors in; steps OUT.

Papa Red

Papa Red
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have the factory installed Mopar running boards and love them. They may be available in black. I need them to get into my truck. They would look good on your truck too.

Red

OP
OP
R
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the factory installed Mopar running boards and love them. They may be available in black. I need them to get into my truck. They would look good on your truck too.

Red
Thanks everyone who is contributing. It's definitely given me good food for thought.

Red, and chance of you posting a few pictures of the running boards on and of your truck?

Thanks...
Rich

KYPOTLICKER

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Same. Hate to shell out the coin, but want the retractable steps

Mike Wenrich

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2004.5, 2023 RAM 2500 Laramie 4x4
Engine
5.9 Diesel, 6.4 Hemi
Thanks Travleling RAM. I did not know about the switch. Maybe you could give me more info on that? Where it's mounted and did it come from AMP?

Last edited:

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins

gwilburn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 1500 Limited Crew
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
Thanks everyone who is contributing. It's definitely given me good food for thought.

Red, and chance of you posting a few pictures of the running boards on and of your truck?

Thanks...
Rich
You can't get those for a 1500 (I tried). Same boat as you.

I ordered the simple black Mopar boards from my dealer @ a discount (still don't have them though). Same boards came on my son-in-law's 2020 Big Horn Night Edition. The pictures of these suck. But I saw them on a newer white truck like yours and they look great.

82215301AC​

gwilburn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 1500 Limited Crew
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
I found these pics online

Attachments

• Black3.jpg
    Black3.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 18
  • Black1.jpg
    Black1.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 18
  • Black1.jpg
    Black1.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 17
OP
OP
R
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I found these pics online
gwilburn... Thanks a bunch!
I saw this post late yesterday, but was busier than a one armed wall paper hanger and forgot to reply.

Me like !!!!

Thanks for the pictures.

The weather here (Chicagoland area) has been unseasonably great! After work on Wednesday, I hopped in the RAM and drove to the selling dealer, where for the first time since the purchase, I took advantage of their lifetime free car wash policy.

My other (main) reason to go, was to do some running board recon. . I did, and saw the ones you posted, just not on a white truck like mine. I took several pictures for reference. While in the lot, I ran into the selling salesman. We talked a little and I told him why I was there. I sent him an email with pictures to quote pricing for them.
We'll see what he comes up with...
If you don't mind, maybe PM me a round about figure on what a decent price is, so I have a barometer. Then I'll have ammunition to hammer right back, should I choose this route.
Did they give you any expectation on when they'd be in?

Thx

Rick

gwilburn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 1500 Limited Crew
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
@Ram Air Rick 23
Glad you like them. I didn't get an estimate on delivery date. Basically, the dealer gave me 15% off the retail price - they retail for $500-$600.

If you search for the part number, you'll find the price.

I just received my in-bed lighting yesterday... OMG, the instructions are 64 steps (removing both driver's side wheels, wheel liners and in-floor storage bin to route the wires). I might take this to the dealer. It has to be programmed anyway.

One would think that a Limited trim level would come with things like in-bed lighting.