Red lightning bolt on dash, EGR valve maybe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hellyeahitis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello, I have a 2007 dodge ram 1500 2 wd with a hemi, and I have this red lightning bolt come on my truck 3-4 times, and I know how to reset it, but I took it to my mechanic to check out. He says he tried to clean the throttle body, but that didn’t help, and now he says it the EGR valve that’s gone bad. So my question is it possible that the EGR is causing the red blot to come on in my dash? Because everything I read points to the etc sensor/switch. Anyway before I spend $200, I was hoping someone on here can tell me if the EGR would cause the red light to come on. Thank you

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
To my knowlage have never seen a EGR cause the bolt it has to do with the throttle body also make sure your battery and alternator tests good. What codes does your truck have? It very well could have a bad egr as a secondary issue.

SavedByGrace

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Laramie
i had that happen few times, when i changed to a 90mm. since u didnt change anything- press the 4 plugs into the ecm and also remove the plug from the TB and press it back in - doing that solved it for me another time.. these dodges must have the worst elec connectoins ever.

SavedByGrace

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Laramie
wont hurt but recalbirate your TB, key on- press to the floor and back 3 times slowly. key off. Key on -> start. might have to clear codes with a scanner or disconnect battery for 10-15 minutes..

Bills86e

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi Longbed
well clean it and the PVC valve & the egr pipe to pvcv. generally the L-Bolt indicates communication is lost to ecm. this sends false signals to sensors.
A DIC code will give the dietitian where to start looking for the culprit. The Engine will not perform well either and MPG goes south. Electrically the fuel
pump is fried and gives the Z bolt. Too many things need diagnostic. quick common test is to press the passenger side fuel rail schreider valve see if
any gas sqirts

buy yourself a OBD port scanner. it plugs in to the black multipo t of left and bottom dash.20 dollars at parts stores.

Last edited: