Remote start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jman10182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My remote will start the truck then maybe ten seconds it will shut off. No warning lights or messages on the dash. Fuel level is full. Has anyone seen this issue?

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Aftermarket kits can be a real pain to diagnose over the web without knowing the manufacturer or how they were wired in.

My first guess would be that the computer isnt receiving a proper transponder chip code from the system. The security system on our trucks will let you turn on the truck with any old key, but if it doesn’t receive the proper signal from a programmed key, it will shut off after a few seconds.

Youll have to see how the kit you have is wired in. Sometimes the cheaper kits will have you tape a spare key close enough to the ignition switch that the truck’s RF transponder reader can pick up the signal. Id check to see if that key is hanging loose or something.

Other kits i believe produce their own RF transponder signal that you have to program to the truck in much the same way you would an extra key. If your kit is set up that way, then chances are either your kit is busted and not putting out a signal, or it needs to be reprogrammed again for the truck to relearn the signal.

Good luck!

OP
OP
jman10182

jman10182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the reply. I should have mentioned it's the factory remote start.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Hood switch?

ErnieBoling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I am having the same issue. Ten seconds of run, then it shuts off. When I get in the truck, it says remote start cancelled, start truck to reset. When I push the start button, it says key fob not detected. Brand new battery in the fob. This happened at the same time that my auto headlights and auto wipers quit working. TIPM issue maybe?

Primate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a similar problem except it starts then shuts off and it does it 5 times, every time. Is there a way to bypass the hood switch to see if that’s the problem? Can I unbolting it and let it hang? Maybe it’s stuck?

I have an 06 itch factory starter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ErnieBoling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
My auto lights and wipers are still on the fritz, but remote start is working again. A few days after it quit working, I had a MIL pop up. I guess maybe there was an issue that took a while to display. Once I took care of the MIL, the remote start worked again. Try running a code reader on your truck and see if there are any fault codes.
I have a similar problem except it starts then shuts off and it does it 5 times, every time. Is there a way to bypass the hood switch to see if that’s the problem? Can I unbolting it and let it hang? Maybe it’s stuck?

I have an 06 itch factory starter.

Primate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My auto lights and wipers are still on the fritz, but remote start is working again. A few days after it quit working, I had a MIL pop up. I guess maybe there was an issue that took a while to display. Once I took care of the MIL, the remote start worked again. Try running a code reader on your truck and see if there are any fault codes.

I checked the reader and there are no codes. It’s been doing this for quite a while now. I’m stumped.

ErnieBoling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I checked the reader and there are no codes. It’s been doing this for quite a while now. I’m stumped.

I guess the next step would be to check or bypass the hood latch switch then.

Primate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I guess the next step would be to check or bypass the hood latch switch then.

Any idea how I would bypass it? Just jump the two wires going to it and complete the circuit?

ErnieBoling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Any idea how I would bypass it? Just jump the two wires going to it and complete the circuit?

I don't personally, but I found this on the web..."My factory remote started will not work due to the hood latch sensor. I tried to find a replacement but could not. There are three wires going to the sensor. A yellow, black and purple. When I connect the black and purple together the remote started works."

Primate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine only had 2 wires. I connected them to complete the circuit and still does the same thing, starts and shuts off 5 times in a row. So I’m back to square one... ugh! If I can figure this out I’ll put those wires on a toggle switch so I can kill it if I or someone else is working under the hood. Safety first!

Ghostman

US Army Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi, 4x4, 2500
I have had a similar issue, I had to replace the hood switch on my 08, found on ebay, (2007-2018 Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram Underhood Remote Start Safety Switch Mopar OEM) I guess the 06 may be different.
But after replacing, my remote start worked again. The contacts were very corroded. (Also I was getting the "Hood" message from the cluster panel)

Now i have the issue again, remote start, truck will run for about 5-10 sec, and shut off, but I believe it's because I have a code (I need to take care of), It makes sense that the remote start will not allow the truck to run if there is a code, IMO.

But you say you don't have any codes appearing... I would definitely check the hood switch, clean the wire connection contacts really good. Or order a new one. mine was only about $20. See if that helps.