Repair or replace?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shanelive13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
06 3.7 with 170k miles...
Lost water pump - replaced.
Crank attempt (manually
.) turned then jammed...turned crank backwards, turned then jammed...forward, turned then jammed...
Advised to put some trans fluid on top of each cylinder....
Vacuumed fluid with small hose through plug holes...
Discovered metal fragments in 1 cylinder...
All valves appeared to be moving....
Haven't removed head to determine cylinder damage.. just assumed the motor is toast but praying I'm wrong....

Love my truck but I'm no mechanic (not a banker either lol).

Any suggestions?

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You said you did water pump? Did you overheat it bad? If so did it just shut off ? or what happened exactly.

OP
OP
S

Shanelive13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It was running normal (not hot,.) and as I came to a red light, she kinda "dieseld" and died. After a few attempts to restart, it acted like the battery was dead and wouldn't turn over at all. (Battery wasn't dead...) and the temp gage was maxed... evidently the water pump bearing went out and lost all the coolant while driving....

After replacing the pump, I tried to start it, but it sounded like a bush hog running over a fence lol .. but no crank...

SteveSerrano

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel
We'll, the engine should manually turn over no matter what, the few times I seen one that didn't it had a broke connecting rod, so yes, it's probably toast.... Plain white toast.

CorDog009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
At the minimum I’d say it’s going to need a new shortblock, and possibly a longblock if part of the piston(s) chewed up the head(s). I honestly think when mine finally gives up I’m just going to junkyard LS swap it.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It was running normal (not hot,.) and as I came to a red light, she kinda "dieseld" and died. After a few attempts to restart, it acted like the battery was dead and wouldn't turn over at all. (Battery wasn't dead...) and the temp gage was maxed... evidently the water pump bearing went out and lost all the coolant while driving....

After replacing the pump, I tried to start it, but it sounded like a bush hog running over a fence lol .. but no crank...
You most likely dropped a valve seat and blew upa piston from running it hot/low on coolant at least 3.7s are all over the place and easy to get.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Can you run a Borescope in each cylinder
with the spark plugs removed, there will be no compression
the engine should rotate easily

& pull the valve covers

Latest posts