replacing cv axle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlackSheepRebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
breaking this out from a related thread since that got long, had more to do with failed attempts at patching the broken boot, and having this better titled and organized may help someone in the future. apologies if this is covered somewhere, searched a bit and couldn't find answers to all my questions so decided to consolidate them here.

first, as a general overview, i know it's third gen but this video seemed solid to me to understand the task at hand (i'm not a mechanic, i just enjoy trying, so i tend to watch a lot of videos before tackling anything):

i managed to find the cv axle in stock at mopar.com. when trying to order the intermediate shaft, even though it shows in stock the order gets cancelled with "none in inventory". here's what i'm looking at:

i understand most replacements do both, but thinking i should be able to re-use mine since it is fairly new. they shouldn't be siezed yet. if it doesn't separate and comes out as one piece, i think i can (gently) clamp the smooth part of the stub shaft and bang on the old cv until it separates. that's my theory. i do worry about the c clips and o ring. has anyone transferred these, or do you recommend always replacing both?

on the install, i've found some remove the whole knuckle and others keep the lower ball joint attached. i'm thinking real mechanics get crap out of their way to make the job easier, but DIYers like myself prefer to avoid taking things apart that aren't strictly necessary. i'll see when i get into it, but any concerns with just pivoting the knuckle out of the way vs fully removing it? maybe there's more concern of separating the new cv shaft while flexing it into place?

when putting it back together, a lot of videos show everyone just tightening everything down fully as they go. some mention the added step of using a lower torque setting initially then fully tightening on the ground. that makes sense where bushings are involved, but i even saw some people doing that for the axle nut. what's the right way to do this?

i have most of the torque specs from doing the level. i confirmed some in various videos but mostly found this useful:

again, i know that mentions 4th gen, but are there major differences for a 5th gen? as part of this i'm going to re-torque everything i touched doing the level so want to be sure.

thanks for any help!

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Don't need to buy overpriced OEM CV axles. Cardone HDs are way cheaper and last as long.

Intermediate shaft are like 30$, I always change them when I swap out CV axles.

The shop manual is pretty clear on the procedure. just follow it if your unsure.

I just use my 1/2 Milwaukee impact and send the bolts home when I do suspension.. The only time I use a Torque wrench is for building engines.. lol...

Last edited:
OP
OP
BlackSheepRebel

BlackSheepRebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
thanks, i figured i should have went the cardone route but was worried about quality given the price... glad to hear they work well for you.

found https://www.cardone.com/product/cv-intermediate-shaft-66-3994is but amazon says "doesn't fit" (don't want to buy there anyway) and rock auto only has one by trakmotive. summit only shows a different PN that it says doesn't fit. my typical luck.

where do you pick yours up?

OP
OP
BlackSheepRebel

BlackSheepRebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
thanks for helping me decide to do the righ thing. going to put this off a bit longer (i'll find other things to do today), and get the intermediate shaft ordered. i think it could be separated since it's still pretty new, but would at least need new c clips so might as well spend the $30.

the only thing i'm worried about now is mixing/matching brands. i guess it should all be to spec, but i've noticed different spline counts on some of the ones i've been looking at and OEM doesn't seem to give that spec (might be missing it, just going off mopar.com). cardone says it's PN 66-3994IS, amazon says that PN doesn't fit, summit only lists 663990IS with different spline count. always a rabit hole. i suppose i could just go ask around local stores.

OP
OP
BlackSheepRebel

BlackSheepRebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
haven't been able to find oem or cordone in stock yet. found two others so far that look right...spline counts match. wth is up with the price difference?

EDIT: ok the napa one looks like the full cv axle, despite poppin up in a search for the intermediate shaft and only showing a picture of that lol. now the price makes sense. 23.99 from summit seems fair, anyone heard of "GSP" ?

EDIT 2: no, wait, even the summit description reads like a full cv axle -- either websites all suck, or it's really hard just to find the intermediate shaft!

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
haven't been able to find oem or cordone in stock yet. found two others so far that look right...spline counts match. wth is up with the price difference?

Just for the record you can drive around with-out the CV's in place,or anything ahead of the T-case for that fact.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

xkraz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar v6
Sorry for bringing this thread back but I have a 2020 Ram 1500 DT 3.6 v6.
Looking to replace the the cv axles and intermediate shafts.

I have a 1.5in level on the front with B5100 adjustable stocks and mopar UCA

I have part numbers

Cardone 66-3740HD for cv axles and​

Cardone 66-3994IS for the intermediate shafts.​

This is correct, right?
Which part#s did you order?

Last edited: