rpm loss and im lost

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

deeray

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi vin 2
2007 ram 1500 5.7 hemi w/mds. ok as im driving down the interstate at 75mph the rpm gauge will just drop to 0 and i lose all power. but the truck doesnt shut off. ill hit the throttle a cpl times and it comes back up. however on occasion while sitting at a stop light the engine will stall and shut off. in the past 3 months ive replaced o2 sensors, mds solenoids, crank position sensor, cam position sensor, egr valve, throttle body, ecm, oil pump and timing set (i replaced timing cause it was showing a spark advance of 34 deg. timing tensioner was completely ate thru by the chain.),all plugs and coil packs. it has thrown trouble codes for just about all these sensors. i replaced the ecm when it was telling me that the crank position hasnt been learned. yet my problem remains. currently getting random misfire codes. ive checked wiring harness for any broken or loose wires. im open to any ideas of what can be wrong. or if there is something i might have missed.

LoneWolf3574

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You need 3 things to make an engine work correctly, fuel, air, and spark. You listed that you replaced the spark and part of the air. Have you checked fuel pressure? Have you inspected the TIPM (lifted traces, bad relays, etc.)? Have you traced out the injector wiring for breaks or wear-through on the insulation? Have you had the alternator tested? Have you tested the battery? Have you checked your grounds?

The above suggestions are in no particular order.

A full list of codes the codes currently being thrown would help as well.

Oliver Closehauf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Check your battery cables. Maybe cut the ends off and put new ones on. Add an extra negative or two. One to the frame, and a real copper cable between the body and the engine block. Just to rule a weird ground issue out.