P0305 at 4-5k RPM, Followed by Slow/No Start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JR9633

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I’ve seen several other threads on here describing similar issues, but not 100% the same as what I’ve got, so figured I’d throw it out there.

2015 Ram 1500 5.7L, 116K miles

For a few weeks I’ve been getting inconsistent acceleration, random surging while driving, but no check engine light. Today I stepped on it getting on the freeway (about 4-5k RPM) and I get a blinking check engine light and engine running miserably (shaking etc.) as I back off the throttle the light goes off but engine symptoms continue for several minutes more. After driving the vehicle, if I park it and turn it off and immediately try and start it again, it cranks/starts very slowly or cranks so slow and weak that it will not start. Wait 30 mins and try again, it cranks and starts fine. These symptoms can be replicated every time the vehicle is driven.

P0305 Cyl 5 misfire is the code stored.

I have recently replaced the following with no improvement (it’s in fact worse): battery, spark plugs, air intake sensor, crank shaft position sensor, and cylinder 5 ignition coil.

Any help is MUCH appreciated.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I’ve seen several other threads on here describing similar issues, but not 100% the same as what I’ve got, so figured I’d throw it out there.

2015 Ram 1500 5.7L, 116K miles

For a few weeks I’ve been getting inconsistent acceleration, random surging while driving, but no check engine light. Today I stepped on it getting on the freeway (about 4-5k RPM) and I get a blinking check engine light and engine running miserably (shaking etc.) as I back off the throttle the light goes off but engine symptoms continue for several minutes more. After driving the vehicle, if I park it and turn it off and immediately try and start it again, it cranks/starts very slowly or cranks so slow and weak that it will not start. Wait 30 mins and try again, it cranks and starts fine. These symptoms can be replicated every time the vehicle is driven.

P0305 Cyl 5 misfire is the code stored.

I have recently replaced the following with no improvement (it’s in fact worse): battery, spark plugs, air intake sensor, crank shaft position sensor, and cylinder 5 ignition coil.

Any help is MUCH appreciated.
Not trying to ruin your day,but you might want to do a compression test,and pull the valve cover on the drivers side if cylinder 5 is down on compression,and check the rocker movement on #5 cylinder,as you might have a cam lobe/lifter going south

OP
OP
JR9633

JR9633

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Not trying to ruin your day,but you might want to do a compression test,and pull the valve cover on the drivers side if cylinder 5 is down on compression,and check the rocker movement on #5 cylinder,as you might have a cam lobe/lifter going south
You were right. I brought it to a shop and they pulled the valve cover and confirmed a failed lifter or cam.

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
that sucks op, but you provided a beautiful description of a textbook example of a cam/lifter failure and the type of first verifications that most people would do. good job and let us know how the repairs go! good luck!