Seeking your feedback on running boards and bed covers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JAFLT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm looking at these...first truck here. Bighorn 1500 2021, graphite gray.

I'm interested in this one cover. Sort of need to have where I live. Is that overkill? https://www.etrailer.com/Tonneau-Covers/Ram/1500/2021/311-SWDA24A55.html?VehicleID=20211840772 (Pace Edwards Switchblade Retractable Hard Tonneau Cover - Aluminum and Vinyl - Black)

For running board, I have kids too. These are must haves. https://www.amazon.com/n-FAB-219418...--53-6---4255--1---&vehicleName=2021+Ram+1500

(n-FAB 219418012 Nerf Step RS Tube Shape Round for 2019-2020 Ram 1500, Textured Black, 2 inch)

Am I going to far on the cover? I realize that's personal preference, but it appears sturdy enough to last a while and looks sturdy for the long haul.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
I'm looking at these...first truck here. Bighorn 1500 2021, graphite gray.

I'm interested in this one cover. Sort of need to have where I live. Is that overkill? https://www.etrailer.com/Tonneau-Covers/Ram/1500/2021/311-SWDA24A55.html?VehicleID=20211840772 (Pace Edwards Switchblade Retractable Hard Tonneau Cover - Aluminum and Vinyl - Black)

For running board, I have kids too. These are must haves. https://www.amazon.com/n-FAB-219418...--53-6---4255--1---&vehicleName=2021+Ram+1500

(n-FAB 219418012 Nerf Step RS Tube Shape Round for 2019-2020 Ram 1500, Textured Black, 2 inch)

Am I going to far on the cover? I realize that's personal preference, but it appears sturdy enough to last a while and looks sturdy for the long haul.

With the retractable covers you will lose some space in the back do to the roller to retract the cover ...

I got the Gator FX hard Quad-Fold which is exactly the same thing as the BAKFlip covers, BAKFlip just rebranded them and don't even own the patent for those covers ....

This FX gator cover works very good in the rain too ... no rain gets in at all .... when I wash my truck I use a pressure washer and still no water gets in ...very happy with it ...

As for the running boards, I have the RBP Stealth Power Running boards better than the AMP steps in my opinion ....

Those n-FAB steps are crap ... they will rust on you within a year .....

Besides the RBP boards I don't know which to even recommend to yah but seriously stay away from f-FAB crap ...

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I had Pace Edwards rollback. Worked great for about 12-13 years and then got harder to roll back. Nice cover, cons are you lose about a foot of space in bed, snow and freezing rain means you won't be opening if it melts and freezes, and it let water in along the tracks sometimes. I replaced with a "temporary" trifold from Walmart for less than $400 in early 2017. 4 years later and on my next 2500 that works AWESOME! Easy on and off my self, keeps the bed 100% dry in blinding rainstorms, and it lets me have full bed if needed. And since the clips hook right to the underside of the bed rail with no mounting hardware (included) needed on my bed, the top provides security without the need for a lock on the rollback that always froze in the winter. Running boards, I have Tyger Switchblade and they mounting required me to modify two of the 2-bolt connectors. Customer service there is leave a message with a phone person and they will call you back when a tech reviews the problem and writes a response: they never call back and this set up does not work when you are in the middle of the installation. I finally reached out a 4th time about 6 months after I got them installed and gave me some money back but I consider the experience a customer service failure.

LouM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Ecodiesel crewcab old/ now 2019 Laramie Hemi
Engine
eco diesel old / now Hemi missing the eco's mileage
My last two covers have been the multiple piece hard fold up type.
My short bed had the 3 piece that would fold and you could secure it flat on the front panel,
so 2/3's of the bed was useable for larger items.
The long bed I have now has the mopar branded hard folding cover,
you can fold almost 3/4 of it open and secure in laying flat on the front section,
or fold up the next section which only leaves about 6" attached to the front of the bed,
then it has a couple of props to hold the folded sections vertical and then travel with it.

My previous covers have been the soft ones with snaps or velcrow, I highly recommend the hard folding
style.

My current RAM has this one I believe;
https://www.moparfactoryautoparts.c...1MDAmeT0yMDE5JnQ9bGFyYW1pZSZlPTUtN2wtdjgtZ2Fz

jman27

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi eTorque
I have a Bak Revolver X2 rolling cover. Very sturdy and a great fit. When it's rolled up I only loose about 8-10 inches of space, above the bed. I typically have a narrow storage container under there/against the cab, with fishing gear, which wouldn't fit with a retractable cover. I had a tri-fold on my last truck and will say they're much easier to take off completely if you want the full bed space, but I have some future rack plans that wouldn't work with a tri-fold so I needed the roll up. Overall I'm very happy with the Bak quality and fit.

No help on running boards. Have the OEM that came on the truck. Happy with them so far though.