Shifting Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dodgeguy66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am having issues with possibly 4 to 3 downshift, but for sure 2 to 1 downshift. When I am almost at a stop, the vehicle suddenly lurches forward slightly, like getting bumped from behind or tapping on the throttle accidentally. I have an OBDII reader that I plugged in and checked out the TCM values, there are two values (one for clutch D and one for clutch E, if I remember correctly) that are supposed to read up to 255. Both are maxed out at 255. From some research I understand that when these values are at max then it usually means there will be odd shifting occurrences related to that clutch band. It was suggested to clear/reset the values and take the vehicle through a "relearning" process where the TCM relearns the driver's regular driving trends and sets new values accordingly. This is supposed to cure the odd downshift issues I'm having. My question regarding all this is: to clear/reset these values in the TCM can I simply unplug the battery for a period of time and drain the current from the PCM and then reconnect it and start driving normally again? And to clean out any residual current from the PCM is it safe to connect the positive and negative cables together (once disconnected from the battery obviously). Or does this clear/reset of the TCM values need to be done through an OBDII reader that is capable of this?

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
You would have to run a relearn through AlfaOBD to reset clutch adaptives. Unplugging the battery will only reset the engine adaptives. If your D and E clutches are maxed out volume wise, I would suggest dropping the pan and checking for clutch material in the pan.

8 speeds do have their fair share of issues, so i hope that isn’t what this is.