Shutter while towing up a small hill

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Longhauler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
This weekend I was towing my 12,000lbs 5th wheel and while on cruise traveling 60mph which is about 1700rpms with tow/haul and exhaust brake one when I would go up an over pass of small hill in the road the truck would shutter. If I took it off cruise it wouldn't do this. Has anyone had this happen to them. I also have the smarty jr with delete pipe.

NWRQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
How much extra power are you running with the smarty?
From what i've read (and experienced) the O/D clutches in 5th and 6th gear are the weak links in the 68RFE and will slip/shudder.
When you feel the shudder does the trans feel like it's slipping a little?

OP
OP
L

Longhauler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
How much extra power are you running with the smarty?
From what i've read (and experienced) the O/D clutches in 5th and 6th gear are the weak links in the 68RFE and will slip/shudder.
When you feel the shudder does the trans feel like it's slipping a little?

I have the tow setting programmed with no other changes in programming. I didn't feel any slippage just the shuddering. Wonder if it has anything to do with the Smarty programming? 12,000lbs shouldn't even make this trucks work here in Illinois. I also have the 4.10 rear end. I'm taking it to the dealership in a couple days to have looked at, but I'm sure they wont find anything.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
This weekend I was towing my 12,000lbs 5th wheel and while on cruise traveling 60mph which is about 1700rpms with tow/haul and exhaust brake one when I would go up an over pass of small hill in the road the truck would shutter. If I took it off cruise it wouldn't do this. Has anyone had this happen to them. I also have the smarty jr with delete pipe.
Shudder? Unless you have the variable vanes on your grill--those might shutter.

Seriously, sounds more like trans than powerplant to me. :thumbsdown:

OP
OP
L

Longhauler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I spoke to a diesel performance shop (Rollin Smoke Diesel) great shop by the way, where I purchased the programmer. The guy said this trans is know for this and recommended I buy a plug and play adapter by BD which will increase line pressure up to 30psi at full throttle and 10psi at idle and that should fix the problem. He said this is a common problem when running a programmer.

NWRQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I spoke to a diesel performance shop (Rollin Smoke Diesel) great shop by the way, where I purchased the programmer. The guy said this trans is know for this and recommended I buy a plug and play adapter by BD which will increase line pressure up to 30psi at full throttle and 10psi at idle and that should fix the problem. He said this is a common problem when running a programmer.

RSD is great.
The increased LP will help it hold. I never got the shudder until I started running the performance tune(180hp) on my truck.. I have my stock pump maxed out at 170psi (stock is 160) and that helped a bit.

OP
OP
L

Longhauler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I put the BD adapter on the trans last night. I can tell a big difference and I haven't towed anything yet. It shifts a lot firmer, should work great while towing.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Well could be the torque converter if they are similar to the ones in 1500 they are probably the weak link that is my guess. Shudder was the reason my torque converter was swapped out.

$miley

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joey93