Startup issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

elroyjets

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2013 ram 1500 Tradesman 4.7l. 2 times today after the truck has been sitting for some time threw out the Day I've gone and tried to start it up but it won't start on the first try. I turn the key fob and I have power but no crank. I took the fob out and tried again and it started right up. Both times today. I did also notice that my doors were unlocked at least on the second time I went out there today and I know for sure that I locked the doors. I've randomly had key fob issues lately where I either need to be super close to lock or unlock even after replacing the fob battery and making sure the the two contacts where still attached when I opened it up. Wasn't sure if this was all correlated or not

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Do a forum search for 'WIN Module'. Or Youtube search for "Ram Win Module". That's the little electronic box of doo-dads behind where you put in the fob. It's issues are well documented. It can be cleaned or checked for bad solder joints.

Be sure your battery connections and grounds are good too. There's a chance it could be your starter's solenoid (esp if it's orig), but since you turned the key fob a couple times and it worked, most likely points to WIN module. You could take the starter in to have it checked. Wouldn't hurt to wiggle the fuses in the fuse box and perhaps swap out the little start relay in the fuse panel with another like relay to rule that out too.

Good luck!