Stock airbox ram air mod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
S

sicmadek

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 express qc
Engine
hemi 5.7
I looked at my truck. What all did you throw away to get that 4" "DRIER HOSE" to fit in there. I looks to me like you have to at least pitch the the cooling system overflow bottle.
Do you know you have to be going faster than the computer will let you go to get any ram air effect from a set up like that??
I appreciate ingenuity but that doesn't look like it would make any HP increase over the stock system.

You relocate the overflow bottle or get rid of it completely.

BigOrangeRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
which grill insert is the flange mounted behind? do you have a picture of the front end for a little further away showing where it is mounted?

OP
OP
S

sicmadek

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 express qc
Engine
hemi 5.7
which grill insert is the flange mounted behind? do you have a picture of the front end for a little further away showing where it is mounted?

Passenger side where the coolant overflow bottle is. There is a plastic piece behind the grill that forces air towards the radiator. You have to remove the grill to cut a hole in the plastic. Then you can mount the duct plate.

BigOrangeRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Passenger side where the coolant overflow bottle is. There is a plastic piece behind the grill that forces air towards the radiator. You have to remove the grill to cut a hole in the plastic. Then you can mount the duct plate.

great, thanks man! I now have a Sunday project:naughty:

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I really need to look into this some more.

Of course, it'll just end up costing me more money! Because, then I'll need a different filter, an exhaust, some paint and colorful Billet parts in the engine bay to make it look pretty, and I'm sure some other things... oh yea, some Bilstein's up front to level (and you know, to raise the intake up higher), and then that will cause some use for bigger Nitto tires, then some LED lights, then... Well, you get it, right? :D

BigOrangeRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
does the overflow bottle have to be removed to fit the 4 inch flange in there or can it be done with the bottle in there where it belongs?

Im going to the store today, and just want to be sure.

SlowRoller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Your truck needs the overflow bottle worse than it needs this intake mod. (Bottle keeps rad 100% full at all times, hot or cold, preventing corrosion)

Do not chunk the bottle,, Relocate it or create another overflow system somewhere else.

BigOrangeRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Your truck needs the overflow bottle worse than it needs this intake mod. (Bottle keeps rad 100% full at all times, hot or cold, preventing corrosion)

Do not chunk the bottle,, Relocate it or create another overflow system somewhere else.

I realize that the truck needs the bottle and I have no intentions of chucking it. I just want to know if I have to take it out to do this mod and then put it back in, or if I can do it without having to take it out.

OP
OP
S

sicmadek

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 express qc
Engine
hemi 5.7
I realize that the truck needs the bottle and I have no intentions of chucking it. I just want to know if I have to take it out to do this mod and then put it back in, or if I can do it without having to take it out.

It has to be relocated. Mine is now behing the driverside headlight.

OP
OP
S

sicmadek

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 express qc
Engine
hemi 5.7
I really need to look into this some more.

Of course, it'll just end up costing me more money! Because, then I'll need a different filter, an exhaust, some paint and colorful Billet parts in the engine bay to make it look pretty, and I'm sure some other things... oh yea, some Bilstein's up front to level (and you know, to raise the intake up higher), and then that will cause some use for bigger Nitto tires, then some LED lights, then... Well, you get it, right? :D

You dont need a new filter. If you really want a new one then i suggest the aem dryflo instead of a oiled one.

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You dont need a new filter. If you really want a new one then i suggest the aem dryflo instead of a oiled one.

Oh, I know. But, as modding goes... one thing leads to another. Right? There's always something to change. :D :superhack:

Ram Lover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L 360
Hey guys new here but saw this thread so thought I would chime in.
Spectre Performance makes pieces to do this with as well, most local parts stores should have them.
Also I've heard there's no real gains until you hit 50 mph to get enough extra air and velocity.
I'm in the northeast so rain and moisture would be a concern for me, I was gonna do this with another vehicle but worried I would suck in rain, thought about doing as someone else mentioned and route it to the bumper with a downward angle to help with rain, also have a ram air hood wonder if you could duct it to work with that instead. Always wanted to do a dual intake ram air setup.

Sent from my Z797C using Tapatalk

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I don't think people are worried about "ram air" as much as cooler air getting into the airbox. I haven't heard of the Spectre Performance stuff, but I'm also guessing that they are going to charge more for the pieces/parts than what you can pick up at Lowe's/Home Depot... just because of the name (in regards to the added intake down low).

As for the rain issue... if you think about it, you're not going to get much, if any, water into your filter box with this set up. The intake is way down low (bottom portion of the bumper), and your air box is up on top of the engine bay. How is the water going to make it up through an accordion style hose (roughly 4 feet of travel - I'm guessing). to get into the air box. I know there is some air pressure pushing up the intake hose, but, water has weight to it. Gravity will keep most of it down at the lowest point possible. And, once a water droplet hits one of the curved areas of the hose, it will impact the hose wall and more than likely "stick" to it instead of going up the to the box. And, all this will happen at the lower portions of the hose, not up at the top near the airbox. That's my theory, at least.

And, as far as deep water, you still have the stock air inlet, that will not allow a "vacuum" of sorts that would suck up high water. Now, I wouldn't want to test this 2nd theory out, but I'm pretty sure it would be a slim chance of it happening. Think of it this way... you have 2 straws in your mouth. You can suck in air from both of them. Stick one in a glass of water and see how much water you can suck in. You might get a little, but your going to get more air out of the "stock" intake than anything. But, don't take that as gospel. :D I really have no idea what I'm talking about. LOL!

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Much cheaper alternative than my s&b lol. I definitely woulda done this. Highly doubtful any rain is gonna make it all the way back in there.

Ram Lover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L 360
@Blown GP, yeah I loved the one I had on a Yukon, and the price of 150 can't be beat, I actually only paid about 70 cause I had a gift certificate and made them honor the price on the shelf that was 10 dollars cheaper, and is that a ram air box with an open top?
@Eagle Chief spectre performance was the filter system on a car that set a land speed record and they did it again with a Dakota,
maybe not actually water getting to the engine but moisture in the air, which is an enemy to metal. Just a thought really, wouldn't want anybody to kill their engine. I'm no expert but I play one on TV.

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ram Lover;1063574@Eagle Chief spectre performance was the filter system on a car that set a land speed record and they did it again with a Dakota said:
I should clarify... I've heard of Spectre. I just didn't know they had kits to add a secondary intake like the DIY stuff we're talking about. Moisture in the air isn't going to cause problems with your intake. If that was the case, every vehicle would have an issue. It's still sucking the same air. The stock set up just takes in hotter air from the engine bay. The DIY version routes the tube down behind the bumper to pick up cooler air that hasn't been heated up as much as what's in the engine area.

And, it's been shown, if not proven, that a little moisture mixed into the air intake will actually help clean your injectors and some parts by getting turned to mist. At least that's what I've researched. I've read about drag racers having a jet setup to directly inject a water mist into the engine to help with this. Now, I know that's a completely different scenario and engine, but in the end, it's the same concept. It's about the same as motorcycle guys running open filters in the rain. They don't suck in enough water to do any harm, and what moisture does get in, turns to a vapor mist that helps clean the internals. And yes, I've seen the pictures of a motorcycle engine that has been through this type of test.

Ram Lover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L 360
Yes they do have those pieces, and they have open ends on some filters so you can connect the tube directly to it, and also have velocity tunnels for intake end. I had wanted to do this to my old Yukon for years but worried about rain.
Why do some ram air hood companies waste time with making ducting into their hoods to draw the water away from the intake if it's not a problem?
I've seen bikes with open filters too but all had covers for them and I assumed it was for rain protection.
Pretty cool though Eagle.
Just my 2 cents, I'll have to see about doing this as well I guess, but maybe also drawing from the hood.
Anybody know of a way to connect to the 360 throttle body to try a dual intake setup? Spectre actually has a dual plenum but I think it was too small to fit.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thoffmann517