Stock Muffler Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Deviate

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 4x2
Engine
I have what may be a really dumb question about something I noticed this morning when I got in the truck. It was cold this morning, by FL standards anyway. It was like 20 something degrees when I was leaving the house. I cranked up the truck early so it could be toasty when I left. As I was walking over to the truck to leave, the entire driveway was dry but there was a good sized wet spot under the muffler and some water dripping from the exhaust pipe. I looked under the truck at the muffler and there was a steady drip from it.

My question: Is there a drain hole or anything on the stock muffler to allow condensation to drain out? Or is my muffler rusting out? I'm kind of hoping for the latter so I can make an argument to the wife for a new muffler/exhaust.

:boobs: <- smiley unrelated...I just noticed it for the first time and had to use it.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Think the Stock setup is clamped so could be letting conden by the seal. If the muffler is rusting out you would notice a pretty good exhaust note change.

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
There are drain holes in the cats but thats about it. The condensation is normal though. Cold pipes plus hot exhaust gasses will cause that. Mine does it too.

But for the sake of getting a new muffler...Just say that the stock one is leaking and you need something that wont...

AWE Daniel

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just tell her it is rusting out and that no muffler should be dripping ever lol!

RubberFrog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sounds like juice from the banana I stuffed in there.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Apparently a bad muffler seal letting all the water out. Probaby a safety issue if it gets under the wheels.

OP
OP
Deviate

Deviate

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 4x2
Engine
When I got home from work I got under there and looked at it real good. The muffler doesn't look too bad for a 6 year old muffler. But I think I can still take advantage of the situation and get a new one.

Thanks for all the ideas everyone. And Frog...you stay away from my tailpipe. Exit only! :3638400157_e7de35b0

3rdStrikePerformance

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yes, there are small pin holes in the mufflers for condensation drainage in the stock mufflers Most are too small for you to notice. As far as the puddle under your truck, that is a normal happening when starting up a vehicle in cold weather. They will also blow water out the tailpipes if there isn't a drain hole in the muffler. Drain holes are there to keep the muffler from rusting out from the inside out.

RAMpage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
custom 5.7/6.1 hemi hybrid
you should tell her that the muffler has gone bad and its hurt the engine so now you need a stroker kit and a few other goodies or youll get 2 mpg and it will leak exaust gases into the truck if not fixxed. good luck lol

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca