Muffler options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trainthemane7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey all,

I’m looking at options to update my stock exhaust on my 2020 Classic.
I don’t want to spend on a full catback system and want to minimize drone but id love a good deep, guttural note at idle and when I get on it.
I was told it’s best to keep the resonators to help with drone but I want that big 2.5 ft factory muffler off to open it up. I’m considering performance muffler from Magnaflow or Carven, or just removing the muffler with a direct replacement Y pipe.
Thoughts?

Mb7640

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a flowmaster outlaw direct replacement with no resonators. Has very little drone. it sounds pretty good.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Did you keep your resonators?

did you keep your resonators?
No all it has is the cats. No drone with the MDS off, but I found even with the stock muffler on and MDS on it had a drone. If you absolutely want a muffler I always had great luck with flowmaster. I ran them for 25 years.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Its loud for sure, but I love the way it sounds.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've had a Magnaflow 24 (Mufflex) and Solo direct fit mufflers on my truck and they both droned while towing.

The best one I've found that doesn't get annoying with daily driving and towing is the K&N direct fit muffler. Theres a whole thread about it on here. 303 stainless too.

RamRod37

2014 Ram 2500 HD 5.7 Hemi
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I got flowmaster's flow FX on mine single 3" inlet dual 2 1/2 outlet like mine pretty well 0405211655_HDR (2023_01_29 21_20_41 UTC).jpg

Jim Saylor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey all,

I’m looking at options to update my stock exhaust on my 2020 Classic.
I don’t want to spend on a full catback system and want to minimize drone but id love a good deep, guttural note at idle and when I get on it.
I was told it’s best to keep the resonators to help with drone but I want that big 2.5 ft factory muffler off to open it up. I’m considering performance muffler from Magnaflow or Carven, or just removing the muffler with a direct replacement Y pipe.
Thoughts?
I myself switched out my Magna flow for the Carven Competitor,so glad I did. Truck has a Beast underneath when I get on it some. plan on deleting Resonators next.

Black1500Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Carven progressive owner here.

In a crew cab it drones like a sob.
I made 1/4 wave resonator for it - made the world of difference.

Does sound pretty great though imo.

OP
OP
trainthemane7

trainthemane7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Carven progressive owner here.

In a crew cab it drones like a sob.
I made 1/4 wave resonator for it - made the world of difference.

Does sound pretty great though imo.
I have heard a good amount about it that working wonders, that’s basically something like a J pipe right? Where’d you get it if you don’t mind? Have a link?

Black1500Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have heard a good amount about it that working wonders, that’s basically something like a J pipe right? Where’d you get it if you don’t mind? Have a link?
Yeah it’s exactly a j pipe. I bought mine from a company called mufflex but had to modify it to get the right length for my frequency of drone since there’s is made specifically for their exhaust. so personally I’d recommend just having a muffler shop fab one up for you. I can help you with the math for right length if you need.

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm running a Flowmaster 40-series on my '19 Classic, WITH the factory resonators. Great tone, nice and muscular, and the resonators keep it from getting too raspy or droning on the highway. It's loud enough to let people know what's under the hood without being obnoxious.

So many people love the ridiculously loud exhausts these days and do muffler deletes or glass-pack systems that, IMO, sound like garbage. I prefer to actually be able to hold a conversation with my passengers. It's a daily driven pickup truck, not a cup car, I don't care to make people's ears bleed.

04fxdwgi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here's a little clip of mine with the Flowmaster 40 series and stock resonators, wife leaving for work this morning.

04fxdwgi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Here's a little clip of mine with the Flowmaster 40 series and stock resonators, wife leaving for work this morning.

Now that sounds great !!!!!! Me likey....