Strike to impact repair parts availability?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
We are all going to end up paying a lot more for trucks and parts when all is said and done . As things just started to get back to normality almost.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
we already are.

ranchhopper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I hope they sit on their a$$ for years typical hit them while they are down mentality like teachers in chicago every fall with their never ending cycle of strikes.
After covid and all the so called shortages now this vehicles are expensive enough most cant afford new anymore. Parts are going to get scarce so they will start to be out sourced and then the unions will cry about that too its a never ending cycle of greed.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I hope they sit on their a$$ for years typical hit them while they are down mentality like teachers in chicago every fall with their never ending cycle of strikes.
After covid and all the so called shortages now this vehicles are expensive enough most cant afford new anymore. Parts are going to get scarce so they will start to be out sourced and then the unions will cry about that too its a never ending cycle of greed.
Well someone is completely clueless on the situation with the UAW strike, their trying to get back what they gave up back in '09 "to keep the big three afloat". Nobody even talks about how the auto companies have touted record profits year after year and the upper management has given themselves countless raises.
The UAW is also going after job security with the advent of electric vehicles, some have stated the auto labor force could be reduced by 30% and most people don't realize that will trample on a much wider swatch of the businesses even outside the auto companies.

OP
OP
T

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well someone is completely clueless on the situation with the UAW strike, their trying to get back what they gave up back in '09 "to keep the big three afloat". Nobody even talks about how the auto companies have touted record profits year after year and the upper management has given themselves countless raises.
The UAW is also going after job security with the advent of electric vehicles, some have stated the auto labor force could be reduced by 30% and most people don't realize that will trample on a much wider swatch of the businesses even outside the auto companies.
I believe the reality is the labor force WILL be reduced. Regardless of the strike, regardless of electrification vs IC.

The situation is that automation and robotics keep getting better and better. Most assembly jobs are just human robots doing the same repetitive movements over and over. I’m sympathetic to those workers, because that work would drive me nuts.

I don’t know the answer, but many jobs are going away. Drivers, cooks and clerks (self checkout anyone?). And the Hollywood writers may celebrate today, but tomorrow chat gpt will be doing their work. Computer programmers too.

People who are not lawyers and politicians or internet influencers need work too. I’m not smart enough to know what the answer is, but progress will not stop because we wish it.

Perhaps automation needs to be restricted in some fashion for the overall health of society.

ranchhopper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Yeah well this clueless individual sure has a hard time figuring out what working 32 hours and getting paid for 40 hours is getting back sounds like the normal less work for more money crap that goes on on union jobs around here.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Yeah well this clueless individual sure has a hard time figuring out what working 32 hours and getting paid for 40 hours is getting back sounds like the normal less work for more money crap that goes on on union jobs around here.
It was mostly a bargaining tactic to reduce the hours worked. Ever had to work 7/10s for months at a time? or even 7 days a week for months on end? Work schedules can change at a moments notice in the auto industry, it's not a 9 to 5 M-F office job. How often do you find out you need to work Saturday or Sunday when your at work on Thursday, this is and can be a regular occurrence in the auto industry.
If you like the 40 work week even a non-union job imposes, thank the unions for that. They help push for what turned into the Fair Labor Standards Act back in 1938. They were pushing for a 32 hour work week back then too. People love to parrot about how lazy union people are, but those are just headlines in the news. Just about everybody's working conditions and rate of pay are directly from union demands over the years.
To bring cluelessness up to speed, they have already backed off the 32 hour work week and even the percentage of raises has come down. That how bargaining works, as for more than you want and settle somewhere in between.

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
They knew what they got paid when they took the job. They took it anyway. They knew the hours when they took the job. They took it anyway. They'll never get back the concessions they made because it was those concessions that were causing the automakers to go broke. Pensions? A recipie for chapter 7 in todays world. I'm glad I live in Florida...Strike here and you're fired. Sorry Mr. Union Guy, unions have outlived thier usefulness and the federal laws that support this organized crime should be abolished.

shrubs

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Strike. Another misunderstood word. The spin put on the word by those who do not wish to take care of their people for reasons that make sense to them, but not the worker-Enormous.

ranchhopper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
What ever happened to if you dont like your job or pay rate quit and go find another. I quit a job I had for 22 years because of the company being bought out by corporate america I didnt hold everyone else hostage to force them into getting what I wanted.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I'm glad I live in Florida...Strike here and you're fired.
You might want to clarify your facts, it's public employees(city, state, and federal jobs) that are not allowed to strike, that doesn't apply to private companies like the automotive industry.
Unfortunately there's a lot of narrow minded people that have formed opinions about unions based on misinformation. Do to the size and reach of Corporate America, unions will always be necessary to maintain workers safety and security because we all know what happens if the government tries to help.

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
You might want to clarify your facts, it's public employees(city, state, and federal jobs) that are not allowed to strike, that doesn't apply to private companies like the automotive industry.
Clarify YOUR facts. I never stated they weren't allowed to strike. Florida is a right to work state...While union contracts are honored by companies that have out-of-state operations (like Duke energy) in regards to their Florida employees, if a Florida-based company becomes unionized, they can fire the entire staff and hire others. "Right to work" is really a right to terminate without cause. That's what we have in Florida...Thank God.

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
GM made nine BILLION dollars in profit last year. They could have given each of their employees an $18,000 bonus and still made six billion in profit. Corporate greed is out of control and is literally driving the middle class to extinction.

Attachments

• Tumblr_l_106757335438336.jpg
    Tumblr_l_106757335438336.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
GM made nine BILLION dollars in profit last year. They could have given each of their employees an $18,000 bonus and still made six billion in profit. Corporate greed is out of control and is literally driving the middle class to extinction.
“Corporate greed” is one of those mantras used to divide and foment discord. What about the shareholders who own the company? Lots of them are retirees with GM in their 401k. Will they be willing to give up a third of their dividends for the welfare of others?

How many of us are willing to place our neighbor’s financial well being above our own? Not very many- as evidenced by the success of Walmart and Amazon. How many of us buy at a small business for a higher price rather than pay less to a big corporation?

Yeah, corporate greed is real. But the corporations are nothing but a collective mirror reflecting the choices of all of us, customers and shareholders alike.

I’ll yield the soapbox now LOL. Time to drive over to Wally World for some Mobil 1. I don’t feel good about it, but I keep going back.

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
“Corporate greed” is one of those mantras used to divide and foment discord. What about the shareholders who own the company? Lots of them are retirees with GM in their 401k. Will they be willing to give up a third of their dividends for the welfare of others?

How many of us are willing to place our neighbor’s financial well being above our own? Not very many- as evidenced by the success of Walmart and Amazon. How many of us buy at a small business for a higher price rather than pay less to a big corporation?
Wise words from the Senator from NA. I'd sure love to take an inventory of the items owned by the union members to see how many American jobs they support. No, you can't buy a TV made in the USA anymore. But, you can buy shoes made here...you can buy tshirts made here...You can buy Florida oranges or Brazilian oranges. They're marked...which ones do you buy, Union Guy? Today, the Union Guy has the day off from work as a holiday(that's another joke)...Are you going to stay home, or go out and shop at a store where some minimum wage person has to work all day? Unions are so hypocritical it's truly disgusting. And the union sheeple line up behind the leader, who makes $300K annual from their dues, to negotiate on "their" behalf. Morons.