Testing Factory Radio - amp draw

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pauley05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi everyone,
Looking for some insight here. Chasing a parasitic drain on my 09 1500 big horn. Radio (m39) fuse is pulling over an amp. I have removed connector on the back side of the Radio and confirmed draw on battery drops to about .4amps. It is the factory P68021163AE Radio. Is there a way to test the Radio itself or is it best to just get a new one and throw it in? I don't believe anything in the harness would be bad as I never had any Radio issues but maybe somebody has had a similar situation!

Also it just happened randomly one day where the truck was dead after sitting for a few days.

Thank you

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Down in the Bottom Right Corner
down by the AUX port
there are 3 letters, first letter will be an R

Let us know what they are

I think it may be an RES 130 Hi Speed radio
if it has a Phone button & SAT button, that would make it a RESs 130 High Speed radio

High Speed refers to the CanBus speed

Last edited:

chopperman1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Did you allow at least 20 minutes for the sleep cycle of the radio? A better way to test for parasitic draw is to use an amphound. It goes in parallel the fuses. When using an inline amp meter you have to wait out the sleep cycles which can drastically vary.

OP
OP
P

pauley05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was not aware there was such a long sleep cycle for the radio. When I initially tested the draw it was after the truck sat for a day with the negative disconnected but I will test it again to be sure!