The 2023 Longhorn Steering Wheel Look Appears Void

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
I am looking at a need for a custom alteration of the steering wheel of a new 2023 Ram Longhorn I have ordered. There has been a change in their factory build which eliminates the wood (or simulated wood) on the top of the steering wheel (as shown in first photo). The 2nd pic is of how I will have to take delivery of the truck, with black leather on the top.

The absence of this top wood leaves a terrible void in the overall appearance and the visual appeal. It is unacceptable to me. What would be a recommended course of action I can take to recreate the top wood (or simulated wood) on the fully leather steering wheel? The electronics have been changed so I can not simply swap for a 2022 steering wheel.

1680837948791.png1680838004336.png
(

Pudge

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Power Wagon 75th
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I don’t think it’s a bad thing. The plastic brown fake wood on the steering wheel always bothered me And never matched the real wood panels. They put so much great detail in everything, but didn’t use real wood on the steering wheel, and it shows. For me, it always stood out as a mistake, so I personally think they finally corrected it by eliminating it. But that’s just me. I can appreciate your lament.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Have a partial leather wrap of the wheel made and installed by a local upholstery shop.

ibike

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wrap it with paracord. Videos on YouTube can give you some concepts and ideas.

justintx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Hey Goose55,
Interested to hear if you came up with anything?
I had a 2019 Limited with the pinstripe wood/leather steering wheel and thought it added to the look as well. I just got a 2023 and it has the leather top... the window sticker says "Wood / Leather–Wrapped Steering Wheel". I thought maybe it was "deleted" because I have the Night Edition package, but maybe they're still calling it that because it does still have that little piece at the bottom?

OP
OP
Goose55

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
Hey Goose55,
Interested to hear if you came up with anything?
I had a 2019 Limited with the pinstripe wood/leather steering wheel and thought it added to the look as well. I just got a 2023 and it has the leather top... the window sticker says "Wood / Leather–Wrapped Steering Wheel". I thought maybe it was "deleted" because I have the Night Edition package, but maybe they're still calling it that because it does still have that little piece at the bottom?
Hi, Justin. I decided to just keep my bright white '19 3500 Laramie dually. It has only 19K miles and it's paid for. Looking at a flame red '23 I was just caught up in an adolescent phase and thankfully wisdom and practical judgment prevailed. I would have had to come up with around $18-20K, which at the time didn't seem unreasonable--to get a truck 4 years newer AND get the much more efficient standard output Cummins with .373 gears, instead of what I have, the high output with .410 gears. I also wanted that Safety Package which includes auto emergency braking and adaptive cruise control. There's an insurance discount for that. Albeit, I don't drive the truck that much, so fuel costs aren't hurting me. And, though I'm not getting any younger, I can still be vigilant on the road. My truck still looks and smells new, so I am content. To help me feel better, I did--after cancelling the order--add a nice Leer all aluminum tonneau cover, front mud flaps, a Mopar chrome exhaust tip and a great Dee Zee bed liner :)

Last edited:

2020PW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good news!!! Wood steering wheel cover is available from Amazon, they have all kinds of designs and colors.

Any wood accents or trim on a vehicle takes me back in time… to a place they should have left it.

Attachments

• IMG_4794.jpeg
    IMG_4794.jpeg
    119.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_4795.jpeg
    IMG_4795.jpeg
    198.9 KB · Views: 6

zrock

Reaction score
Would have to be one heck of a insurance discount to make up the price of a new truck.. That's like buying a new veh because its a few points better on fuel you will never recoup the savings..

Like you i was caught up in the adolescence phase a few months back. Wanted a new truck for the updated interior and a few other perks... Once i sat down with the quote after a few days i just could not justify the $120g price tag for some things that i wanted and not needed.. Like oyu my truck is clean and in good shape... who knows someday i may develop the hemi tick but a new engine install is way cheaper..