The Impossible Tire Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jim Bowker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My backs on my 2019 were kaput at 20k. I went with Michelin as I found them to be great tires on my 2001 2500. The tires it came with had poor traction, especially coming out of my subdivision where there is a bit of a rise entering the busy road. Wet traction was a nightmare. However, my wife has a AWD Pilot and it's traction just ran circles around my 2019 RAM. Until I started turning on the "auto 4WD" anytime the road is wet. Also, the rear tires are what went bad. And, they were completely hosed on the inner areas (bald and starting to separate). There is no realignment possible for them. I pull a 21 foot bass boat and the tire guru told me the issue is most likely just the tongue weight and cheap tires. I never had such an issue with Michelin tires and I hope the new ones don't show that issue. He also said he worked for years and years at a Dodge dealer and said even though the tires they put on may look like those you can get at a tire store, they are not really the same. He said Dodge told him one time "We sell trucks, not tires." He mentioned that a lot of smart buyers made them pull off the stock tires and install good tires. Guess I wasn't one of the smart ones.
One could argue you were indeed one of the smart ones. The stock SRA's that came on my truck were fine. No, they aren't the best tires to ever exist on the planet, however they were good enough for 30,000 miles. I'd love someone to explain to me how it would be "smarter" to ditch those to install better tires.

David James

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I have asked everyone at every tire shop I could talk to. I have posted on various forums through the years, but it seems as though no one has an answer...
I am in the market for tires again. The tires that came on the truck were crap after a couple thousand miles. I replaced them with 305-50-20 Nitto 420 and they went to crap around 6k miles. By "crap" I mean they get hard and lose traction. They perform great at first, but a few months later I have difficulty taking off from a stop on asphalt. I am not talking about standing on the gas like a drag race, just standard acceleration (for me...I am typically the first to react to the light change).

Anyway...my question is...what tires offer traction longer than other brands. Every review only looks lat how long the tread lasts, which typically means the rubber is hard (meaning less traction).

Edited to add...this is a pavement only truck, I live in suburbia...no offroading in my area...No need for AT/MT
Those are soft compound performance tires better suited for a lighter vehicle rather than 5500+ pound truck. You’re going to get lower mileage life and lower fuel mileage with that aspect tire. It probably rides like a turnip wagon in comparison to a 60+ series tire. Have you done a road Force balance and alignment? Watch your tire pressure - my 275/60x20 are at 41 psi all the way; I’m on my third set of tires in 114 k miles, with OEM Goodyears replaced at 50 k, and replacement Continental Sure Tracks replaced at 110 k. One suggestion lies with the man in the mirror. I suspect those pedals on the floor have a lot to do with what you are irked at. You don’t have to be the first away and pulling away to get away from other drivers. But, I suspect your habits are ingrained as we all have. I drive gently - not slow but light on the loud pedal, and not all over the stop pedal. Good luck.

Connie Mack

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Diesel
So I have asked everyone at every tire shop I could talk to. I have posted on various forums through the years, but it seems as though no one has an answer...
I am in the market for tires again. The tires that came on the truck were crap after a couple thousand miles. I replaced them with 305-50-20 Nitto 420 and they went to crap around 6k miles. By "crap" I mean they get hard and lose traction. They perform great at first, but a few months later I have difficulty taking off from a stop on asphalt. I am not talking about standing on the gas like a drag race, just standard acceleration (for me...I am typically the first to react to the light change).

Anyway...my question is...what tires offer traction longer than other brands. Every review only looks lat how long the tread lasts, which typically means the rubber is hard (meaning less traction).

Edited to add...this is a pavement only truck, I live in suburbia...no offroading in my area...No need for AT/MT
yea, I hear ya. I have a 03 2500 4x4 diesel, my situation was that BFGoodyear, and the rest have a close thread pattern. That would pick up a lot of little stuff, like small screws, nails, ertc. So after spending $1200 a couple of times here is what I did. I got on FB market place and bought a complete set of RED DIRT M/T. SEE ATTCHMENT. come to find out that there is only a few tire manufactures in this world. most in china. Red Dirt Mud tires are ranked #3 in the world of quality. this is just my story. BTW complete set $604. balanced

Attachments

• 324158260_553885199745379_375899231381927201_n.jpg
    324158260_553885199745379_375899231381927201_n.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 9

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
One could argue you were indeed one of the smart ones. The stock SRA's that came on my truck were fine. No, they aren't the best tires to ever exist on the planet, however they were good enough for 30,000 miles. I'd love someone to explain to me how it would be "smarter" to ditch those to install better tires.
Fair statement and fair question, too.

I'll provide my $0.02 (opinion only) on the stock good-for-a-year junk that comes with our trucks stock vs 'better tires'.

The stocks are horrible in the rain, horrible in any type of cold climate, offer little to no longevity, and are just round and made of rubber and fit the stock rims to satisfy the bare minimum requirements of the governing body's need for compliance.

For me personally, when I look at a vehicle the two most important items upfront are a vehicles tires and brakes. I depend on my vehicle to keep me and my family safe in all road and weather conditions, period.

When you think about tires and what's really keeping you on the road and safe, there are four contact patches about the size of ones hand that meet the ground. When marginal tires at best are what one has between you and the ground to provide traction in wet/sleet/snow and stopping in rain/sleet/snow it resonates to me at least that 'okay' just doesn't cut it.

I tossed my stock crap tires immediately for better tires right off the hop because I must know that I have the best opportunity to better myself in an adverse road condition situation.

I consider myself a higher than average driver because of the 33+ years of driving I have travelling all over Canada in some of the most harsh conditions one could encounter, and that I also have a race track driving background where it is a known thing that tires can make or break the whole scenario.

I have avoided, many times, what could have been catastrophic results on and off the track because I know my vehicle, know my tires and brakes, and know how my vehicle will react in any situation I encounter.

Tires and brakes (and knowing how to drive - because any person can get behind a wheel and make a vehicle go... but not everyone knows how to drive ;)) will make and/or break the entire situation.

So, that's my take on indicating how ditching crap tires and installing better ones makes sense to me :)

Govtman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm very satisfied with mine. Hercules Terra Trac AT X-Venture. 265/75/20 10ply. 2019 BigHorn with factory plus lift. What this truck should have come with.tera trac x-venture close up~2.jpgtera trac x-venture.jpg

1 MEAN66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT-MDS
I'm not sure about your Ram, but my guess is that in most - if not all of them- the "loud" pedal affects the rear tire wear more than the front wear. IF I read what you are saying correctly _? all four tires are the same? but the rears are the problem as they wear out first and by a significant amount?? If that is true and that is your result, then YOU already know the answer to your question. Rotate then more often so they wear the same, But even so my guess is that the way you drive is the reason. Ask the tires to work hard and they will. But at a cost. Not saying you do but, but getting out of the stoplight FIRST to get to the next one First, could be hard on tires and fuel mileage! Just a thought!

97RedRam

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have had really good traction and wear with the Goodyear Fortitude HT. Not an off road tire but excellent on the pavement.

Jim S

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
Drag radials sounds like your solution.

More seriously, Michelin.

And what tire pressure are you running? Placard is for max GVWR. I hardly ever run the rear tires on a pickup at placard pressure.
Tire pressure was what was on the door label...36psi, I think

Jim S

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
Nope...at 71 years old, I pretty much got that out of my system. The age and the fact that I had to buy my OWN tires had a lot to do with growing up.

Zac1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L ETorque
Mine came with Pirelli Scprpion. Really like them, smooth, good wet, dry, and snowy conditions. Other one i had good experience is Michelin Defender LTX M/S 70,000 miles 10ply.

Bob1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Every truck I've owned get the Michelin LTX after whatever came on it needs replaced. Never been disappointed.

kholgate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am another Michelin guy. I have had their LT M/S tires go over 80k miles on a SUV. I put the 10 ply on my Ram after a set of Coopers were done within 20k miles (apparently that batch had a known issue). I've since traded in that truck on a new one but the tires were still like new.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Fair statement and fair question, too.

I'll provide my $0.02 (opinion only) on the stock good-for-a-year junk that comes with our trucks stock vs 'better tires'.

The stocks are horrible in the rain, horrible in any type of cold climate, offer little to no longevity, and are just round and made of rubber and fit the stock rims to satisfy the bare minimum requirements of the governing body's need for compliance.

For me personally, when I look at a vehicle the two most important items upfront are a vehicles tires and brakes. I depend on my vehicle to keep me and my family safe in all road and weather conditions, period.

When you think about tires and what's really keeping you on the road and safe, there are four contact patches about the size of ones hand that meet the ground. When marginal tires at best are what one has between you and the ground to provide traction in wet/sleet/snow and stopping in rain/sleet/snow it resonates to me at least that 'okay' just doesn't cut it.

I tossed my stock crap tires immediately for better tires right off the hop because I must know that I have the best opportunity to better myself in an adverse road condition situation.

I consider myself a higher than average driver because of the 33+ years of driving I have travelling all over Canada in some of the most harsh conditions one could encounter, and that I also have a race track driving background where it is a known thing that tires can make or break the whole scenario.

I have avoided, many times, what could have been catastrophic results on and off the track because I know my vehicle, know my tires and brakes, and know how my vehicle will react in any situation I encounter.

Tires and brakes (and knowing how to drive - because any person can get behind a wheel and make a vehicle go... but not everyone knows how to drive ;)) will make and/or break the entire situation.

So, that's my take on indicating how ditching crap tires and installing better ones makes sense to me :)
^^^ 100 %%% DITTO ^^^

20IndyRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
I get off the line to get away from the bad drivers. They are all over the place around here, just like every major metropolitan area.
When tires get hard with half tread left, they are worthless...I have to replace them before they wear down because they have no traction. It isn't that I am taking off all that fast, I am just paying attention to when the light changes.
Yep, tires and bad drivers are absolutely the problem here... Maybe try some bleach to soften the tires? This is a joke by the way.

Proper launch for a Hemi

osprey92

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

There aren't many tire manufactures but they do own many subsidiaries. I find a tire I like, research the company, ownership, etc. It's the reason I have moved tire replacements to Walmart. I have found brands that get better wear and handle better than big brands and are 50% the cost but often a company of the big brands.

Gren71

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are yall noticing any significant impact on mpg with the 10 ply tires? Coming from the jeep world I had 10ply on my gladiator and while they were good for towing, the mpg loss was significant. Id love to replace the stock tires sooner than later, but im having a hard time wrapping my head around the whole P rate vs 10ply.

I tow a 6k lbs travel trailer a couple thousand miles a year, with my camping season being March through November.

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Are yall noticing any significant impact on mpg with the 10 ply tires? Coming from the jeep world I had 10ply on my gladiator and while they were good for towing, the mpg loss was significant. Id love to replace the stock tires sooner than later, but im having a hard time wrapping my head around the whole P rate vs 10ply.

I tow a 6k lbs travel trailer a couple thousand miles a year, with my camping season being March through November.
I don't know, and don't care to spend the time researching so I'll just ask the question - are the only options P-Rated or 10-Ply? I was sure I saw at least 8-Ply rated when I was looking for tires.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat