Thing of Jumping Back In

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WISluggo

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I owned a 2013 longhorn and loved it, fast forward several years and I am looking to jump back in. I need some help with options and trim based on my needs (and what’s likely to be available).

It will be my daily driver, I live in a cold/snowy environment. I don’t tow, but I plan on using the truck for fun family adventures and road trips. Auto 4x4 is a must, and I like the idea of modding a vehicle (my longhorn had the air suspension and I loved the way it rode, but there wasn’t much I could do from a mod perspective)

I am eyeing the rebel, longhorn, or limited. Based on your experience what are some of the options that are must haves aside from the 12” screen? I am also considering the diesel just for the gas mileage. Thanks for your thoughts.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
The fuel economy of the diesel is pretty good, but it could take several years to make up the price difference. Maintenance costs are a little higher on the diesel, plus the small additional expense of needing to add DEF occasionally. I had an ecodiesel once and it was great on fuel mileage. I just got tired of dealing with the smelly diesel and more expensive oil changes.

If you don't want air suspension the Limited is off the table unless you're in Canada (sounds like you might be based on your environment). Nearly all models are available with auto 4x4. I think the Tradesman is the only model you can't have it in. Even the Rebel has that as an option now.

Unless you plan on getting dedicated snow tires, be sure to include the Off Road Group (ORG). The tires that come with that package are 3PMSF rated and are great in winter driving conditions.

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
I would go rebel as you described what you will do with the truck. The drawback will be 3.92 gears are standard on the rebel. But get the 33 gallon tank and you should be good for 600+ miles highway
For me on options
Hemi - I hate diesel and cold
12" and HK
MFT
RAMBOX

Last edited:

andymax

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If by "adventures" you mean off-road...they I agree with Farmer, a Rebel would suit you well. If however you will be on paved road mostly, then I'd also consider the Laramie...Plenty of options and luxury without some of the bling. And it'll likely not have air suspension so you can mod as you wish.

For me, the must haves were:
-Advanced Safety Group - primarily for the adaptive cruise because I run the freeway a lot. I love the surround view WAY more than I thought I would.
-Laramie Level 2, which I think is now called Level B. for the second row heated seats and HarmonKardon sound system

If I had the opportunity to shop again, I would have definitely searched for the following:
- Multi function tailgate (MFT) - do a search...you will see that those that have them generally LOVE them.
- Ramboxes - for the same reason as MFT

Good luck!

MaxGig

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Man, thanks for a well written post. I've had my RAM for exactly 2 days now and I've got a ton of questions from several of my friends who are thinking of getting one. This post did a great job of breaking down the trucks and I can point them to the forum or better yet explain some of the differences to them directly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ftank