Throttle sticks ( Solved )

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bluesurf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
I can't figure how to start a topic?

I HAD A REAL BAD EXPERIENCE TODAY!

Was driving in my 3 month old Ram 1500 with 1840 miles on it. Accelerated to get on the highway, pressed the pedal and it clicked like gears were breaking. I could feel it under my shoe. The pedal got stuck and i was really accelerating, I hit the break hard and it slowed the car. I got my shoe behind the pedal up high and pulled it toward me. The dash lit up "A!" Service electronic throttle controller! I moved the pedals toward me like a short person would drive. The entire pedal wobbles like its broken inside the unit. I put a call into someone at the Dealership. I'm hoping for a call back. This is serious! I'm a very decent driver, I can't imagine a woman or older man in my situation. I filed a complaint with the NHTSA .

Update: I'm bringing the car in today at 8am per the Svc Mgr. we'll see.

Last edited:

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
To start a new thread, find the section most appropriate to your subject. Each major section of the forum has subsections for you to use.

Once you are in the correct section, look to the upper right corner of the web page.

You'll see a button titled "Post New Thread". Click on that, put in a title, type the information you want to present, select or not select the option to watch the thread and receive email notices if someone replies, then click the "Create Thread" button.

You will be taken to your new thread.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
To start a new thread, find the section most appropriate to your subject. Each major section of the forum has subsections for you to use.

Once you are in the correct section, look to the upper right corner of the web page.

You'll see a button titled "Post New Thread". Click on that, put in a title, type the information you want to present, select or not select the option to watch the thread and receive email notices if someone replies, then click the "Create Thread" button.

You will be taken to your new thread.

Speaking of which, looks like he has a 5th gen...didn't the 5th gens have a recall for the gas pedal?

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Speaking of which, looks like he has a 5th gen...didn't the 5th gens have a recall for the gas pedal?
They did. It was a fairly common problem to get a CEL for that in the first few months after the 2019's came out. When I went with a buddy to buy one back in October 2019 we didn't even make it off the lot after signing the papers on a new one before that happened. Needless to say he ended up with a different truck because they tried to fix the problem more than once. Hopefully they have a better fix for it now.

OP
OP
Bluesurf

Bluesurf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
I can't figure how to start a topic?

I HAD A REAL BAD EXPERIENCE TODAY!

Was driving in my 3 month old Ram 1500 with 1840 miles on it. Accelerated to get on the highway, pressed the pedal and it clicked like gears were breaking. I could feel it under my shoe. The pedal got stuck and i was really accelerating, I hit the break hard and it slowed the car. I got my shoe behind the pedal up high and pulled it toward me. The dash lit up "A!" Service electronic throttle controller! I moved the pedals toward me like a short person would drive. The entire pedal wobbles like its broken inside the unit. I put a call into someone at the Dealership. I'm hoping for a call back. This is serious! I'm a very decent driver, I can't imagine a woman or older man in my situation. I filed a complaint with the NHTSA .

Update: I'm bringing the car in today at 8am per the Svc Mgr. we'll see.

I brought my car in Wednesday morning. The Service Agent hooked up the "plug" under my steering wheel. After 30 seconds it started filling up a Service iPad there were about 7-8 codes and alarms. I took a loaner and returned home. About 1.5 hours later I received a call. the service Agent advised me that they must replace the entire throttle control unit including the pedal. It seems this problem caused most of the codes. The bad news is that it will be ~5~days to get the part in. I'm glad this could be resolved.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They did. It was a fairly common problem to get a CEL for that in the first few months after the 2019's came out. When I went with a buddy to buy one back in October 2019 we didn't even make it off the lot after signing the papers on a new one before that happened. Needless to say he ended up with a different truck because they tried to fix the problem more than once. Hopefully they have a better fix for it now.

Ahh I see, thanks for the info. I knew I remembered something about that, and I think I also remember reading about your experience helping your friend get his. I'll be interested to see how they resolve some of the issues (hopefully) for the 2020 model year, all in all for rushing out a new design the 2019's seem like they are doing alright, unless you are one of the few unlucky ones that gets a dud but that can happen with any car in any year.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I brought my car in Wednesday morning. The Service Agent hooked up the "plug" under my steering wheel. After 30 seconds it started filling up a Service iPad there were about 7-8 codes and alarms. I took a loaner and returned home. About 1.5 hours later I received a call. the service Agent advised me that they must replace the entire throttle control unit including the pedal. It seems this problem caused most of the codes. The bad news is that it will be ~5~days to get the part in. I'm glad this could be resolved.

Let us know how it all works out, so you have a loaner from them in the meantime?

OP
OP
Bluesurf

Bluesurf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
Let us know how it all works out, so you have a loaner from them in the meantime?
Yes, I heard from the Service Manager today. I'm hoping by the later of next week I'll get it back. In the meantime I picked a Nissan Frontier to use. Its better than feet, however its a zero next to the new Ram. I wouldn't want anyone to deal with the throttle issues. Can you believe that unit is all plastic junk. I looked under and was shocked. I wonder if its china junk? I filed with the NTSB they wrote me and said it would be given to an investigator. I hit the gas to get on to the interstate and the dam pedal made sounds of plastic gears shattering. I swear that I felt three cracking gears. Also they told me that they never say a pedal swing from right to left like mine. This is probably newly designed garbage. I wonder if eTorque may be a reason?

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes, I heard from the Service Manager today. I'm hoping by the later of next week I'll get it back. In the meantime I picked a Nissan Frontier to use. Its better than feet, however its a zero next to the new Ram. I wouldn't want anyone to deal with the throttle issues. Can you believe that unit is all plastic junk. I looked under and was shocked. I wonder if its china junk? I filed with the NTSB they wrote me and said it would be given to an investigator. I hit the gas to get on to the interstate and the dam pedal made sounds of plastic gears shattering. I swear that I felt three cracking gears. Also they told me that they never say a pedal swing from right to left like mine. This is probably newly designed garbage. I wonder if eTorque may be a reason?

Yeah that certainly doesn't sound like a pleasant experience at all. And it's sad, but who knows where they are cheaping out on parts like this throughout the truck to save money. Not sure if that's an etorque thing or if they redesigned and implemented that on all of the rams, but hopefully they make a change and fix it. I agree, sucks to have a loaner but it's better than nothing, I had a whole lot of fun the one time I had a loaner. I missed my truck too, so the loaner took the brunt of it.

OP
OP
Bluesurf

Bluesurf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
Today, Saturday 8/31 is my 11th day my truck is still in the shop for the throttle controller. I can't believe how unprepared FCA has become.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963