Tint questions and concerns.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DStan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Etorque
Hello all,

New RAM owner here. Former Ford guy...I am loving this truck so far!!! I have the 21 Laramie with the big sunroof. My next step is to tint the windows.

I understand that the factory tint (dye) is at 20% on the roof and back windows, but I am interested in the heat rejection benefits as I live in a hot climate.

Anybody tinted the windows all the way around including the sunroof and windshield? What worked? What sucked? Anything to be aware of other than the electronics behind the dash? Any recommendations on tint brand, shade, material etc.???

I am leaning on using a ceramic tint...20% on the front two windows and lightest (70% ?) available to cover everything else that's already tinted, plus 70% on the windshield. Thoughts???

Appreciate the feedback!

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
I did ceramic on my 392 Charger and Ram, I had them tint the back light, and then match the front doors and added the strip on windshield.
Always one of the first things I do.

OP
OP
DStan

DStan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Etorque
I did ceramic on my 392 Charger and Ram, I had them tint the back light, and then match the front doors and added the strip on windshield.
Always one of the first things I do.
Does the interior cool off quicker with the ceramic???

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
It is illegal in many states to tint a windshield. I also tinted my front windows to 20% knowing it is illegal in Colorado. We don't have much traffic enforcement anymore so I'm not worried about it.

OP
OP
DStan

DStan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Etorque
I tinted my windshield with a clear. Being a melanoma cancer survivor I needed to block the UV rays all around.

Red
Do you notice a difference in temp with the film on the windshield? Thanks for the reply.

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have ceramic tint on all of my windows with 35% across the entire windshield and a double layer of 5% as an eyebrow.

Even having an all black truck in Az, I don't use a sunshade on the windshield and it cools down noticeably faster with the ceramic tint vs the regular dyed tint my truck had when I got it.

The rest of my windows are 5% though so that helps a bit too I would guess.

michael harpe

U.S. Army 2001-2014
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 hemi
i tinted my power wagon with 5% rear windows all around, the windshield strip and sunroof. legal 35% for GA and the windshield is a clear. the truck stays colder in the summer and when my sister road in the back she didnt need her sunglasses lol. here is the brand of film my tint company used. lifetime warranty and its their top of the line. i recommend the windshield IR heat blocking to ANYONE.

Car Window Tint Percentage Specs - Rayno Phantom Film (raynofilm.com) i used the s9 window tint and the windshield is the platinum air 7090
Home Window Film, Tint, UV - Rayno Window Film (raynofilm.com)

pics are the day it was tinted

IMG_0201.jpg

IMG_0202.jpg

IMG_0203.jpg

OP
OP
DStan

DStan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Etorque
i tinted my power wagon with 5% rear windows all around, the windshield strip and sunroof. legal 35% for GA and the windshield is a clear. the truck stays colder in the summer and when my sister road in the back she didnt need her sunglasses lol. here is the brand of film my tint company used. lifetime warranty and its their top of the line. i recommend the windshield IR heat blocking to ANYONE.

Car Window Tint Percentage Specs - Rayno Phantom Film (raynofilm.com) i used the s9 window tint and the windshield is the platinum air 7090
Home Window Film, Tint, UV - Rayno Window Film (raynofilm.com)

pics are the day it was tinted

View attachment 244625

View attachment 244626

View attachment 244627
That's the brand that the tint guy I talked to uses. Online reviews of it are hit or miss...so I asked here. But yeah dude, that's the info I was looking for. Thank you!

Sharp looking truck btw. And I thought sisters rode shotgun in GA! Lol kidding...I live in MS, so no room to talk here. haha

Thanks again man.

andymax

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had the front sides and rear slider tinted with Ceramic. I absolutely notice a difference so I am about to have the windshield and the rear sides done in 70%...I don't want the rears any darker, so I will be 360degrees tinted, but I don't have a sunroof. If I did, I'd do that at least 20%, and maybe opt for 5%.

michael harpe

U.S. Army 2001-2014
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 hemi
That's the brand that the tint guy I talked to uses. Online reviews of it are hit or miss...so I asked here. But yeah dude, that's the info I was looking for. Thank you!

Sharp looking truck btw. And I thought sisters rode shotgun in GA! Lol kidding...I live in MS, so no room to talk here. haha

Thanks again man.

pretty sure that Arkansas your talking about. or central Alabama.

im very happy with the tint and other than wishing i did 5% all around (which sadly would get me pulled over by the 5 different LEO organizations fighting for thier quotas), ill always go with this brand. 3M is good as well. but just stay away from the $99.00 purple tint jobs. this one cost $648 out the door

Papa Red

Papa Red
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Do you notice a difference in temp with the film on the windshield? Thanks for the reply.

I can't say either way. My truck is garaged at all times and when I'm out and about it's not outside for hours on end. Plus with this covid stuff I haven't been out like I used to. My concern was to block UV rays.

Red

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
I, too, am looking to tint my side driver and passenger windows of my '19 3500 because I just had my 1st Melanoma skin cancer excised. The DMV is sending me a certificate to carry in the truck validating a medical reason for darker tinted windows. I like the idea of also tinting the windshield w/ a UV and IF blocking film but the drawback is taking hits from stones in the windshield. I only have one so far but another is coming I am sure. I need to look at the windshield of my old Tacoma as it was replaced with a windsheld manufactured with built in IR/ UV blocking.

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
pretty sure that Arkansas your talking about. or central Alabama.

im very happy with the tint and other than wishing i did 5% all around (which sadly would get me pulled over by the 5 different LEO organizations fighting for thier quotas), ill always go with this brand. 3M is good as well. but just stay away from the $99.00 purple tint jobs. this one cost $648 out the door
I have a history of skin cancer so here in Arizona I can legally have my windows tinted darker. But by now, to avoid being pulled over, there must be some sort of decal one can display in the back window that tells law enforcement I have a certified medical reason approved by the DMV. Anyone hear of such a decal? I am going to contact some skin cancer associations to check into that. If I find out anything useful I will let you guys and gals know.

Green_Manalishi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a history of skin cancer so here in Arizona I can legally have my windows tinted darker. But by now, to avoid being pulled over, there must be some sort of decal one can display in the back window that tells law enforcement I have a certified medical reason approved by the DMV. Anyone hear of such a decal? I am going to contact some skin cancer associations to check into that. If I find out anything useful I will let you guys and gals know.
From AZDOT:

"If you are required for medical reasons to be shielded from the direct rays of the sun, you may receive an exemption from the window tinting requirements. The exemption is granted for any vehicles that you own as well as other vehicles in which you are a regular passenger.

To apply for the exemption, complete an Application for Window Tint Medical Exemption(link is external), form #40-1511, certified by a medical provider. The application will be forwarded to the Medical Review Program."

Here in Texas, all that is required is the letter from your physician to be carried in the vehicle. It won't prevent the stop though.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had a mobile guy come out and do mine in 17. 25% on the front windows. Whats legal in Texas. 10% on the back windows. I have been debating on doing the front windshield with some sort of reflective material.

TWILLIAMS9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I got a nano ceramic on all my windows. 70% on all glass. Cools off way faster!

BNeal

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hello all,

New RAM owner here. Former Ford guy...I am loving this truck so far!!! I have the 21 Laramie with the big sunroof. My next step is to tint the windows.

I understand that the factory tint (dye) is at 20% on the roof and back windows, but I am interested in the heat rejection benefits as I live in a hot climate.

Anybody tinted the windows all the way around including the sunroof and windshield? What worked? What sucked? Anything to be aware of other than the electronics behind the dash? Any recommendations on tint brand, shade, material etc.???

I am leaning on using a ceramic tint...20% on the front two windows and lightest (70% ?) available to cover everything else that's already tinted, plus 70% on the windshield. Thoughts???

Appreciate the feedback!
I am having mine done today with ceramic - all of the glass, including windshield and sunroof. I asked about the existing factory tint, and he indicated that that is simply colored glass with no real redeeming value in terms of heat rejection. I live in TX, so heat is a thing! I'll report back on what all we did and how it worked.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat