Tint Newbie

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raife

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 I6 Cummins HO Turbo Diesel
Good day everyone. I am a tint newbie as I have never had tint applied to my vehicles, but I want to now. I have read multiple threads here regarding tint, but couldn't really find an answer on the threads - what VLT to get...except whatever you feel is the right amount. However, not having any experience, I don't have a good sense of a good starting point.

Some context...

- Ram 3500 Laramie
- Primary goal is to decrease the heat in the cab...I live in south central Texas and my truck often sits in an open parking lot all day. I currently have a windshield cover I put up inside
- Secondary goal is to decrease glare above the AS-1 line
- Tertiary goal is to decrease overall light transmission into the cab

What I am currently planning:
- Ceramic tint for greatest heat reflection
- 25% above the AS-1 line
- Clear/un-tinted ceramic on the front windshield

- ??? VLT on the remaining windows?

Any thoughts or advice is appreciated.

1SloRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I personally haven’t been able to justify the added cost of ceramic. Some will disagree, but the carbon tint has worked out great for me in Mississippi. My Ram has 5% all around with 15% on the entire windshield. My Charger was similar but 20% instead of 15%. White car. Black truck. One of the only things I have seen I like about ceramic is even with the lighter shades of tint they help with heat and glare, but I get dark tints anyway so the difference for me isn’t noticeable.

Mike Townsend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have ceramic on my cars. I live in central Texas also and it helps a lot with the heat. The truck has 5% on the back window and 20% on the side. If you want the top of your windshield to block the sun put a 5% stripe above the A1 line so it will work the best. My car has 50 or 70% ceramic tint on the windshield. It helps with a lot of glare and the heat. Ceramic doesn't usually cost that much more so there really isn't a reason not to do it. Unless you completely black out everything like 1sloram that is. LOL