Tonneau cover questions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KevTN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi/8speed 4x4
Morning guys. I am looking at the accessories for the truck I am getting ready to order. I will be doing some traveling with the family. How does the Tonneau cover from Ram do? Any problems with water leaks? Are they secure? Do you like them, ie, would you put another one a future truck?

I am going to do the spray in bedliner, and the wheel to wheel steps.

I appreciate the positive enviroment on this board!!

Kevin

2013-ram3500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Morning guys. I am looking at the accessories for the truck I am getting ready to order. I will be doing some traveling with the family. How does the Tonneau cover from Ram do? Any problems with water leaks? Are they secure? Do you like them, ie, would you put another one a future truck?

Kevin

I anxiously await replies on your question Kevin. I too ordered my truck with the tonneau cover. Although I ordered a ram box, with the tri-fold tonneau cover, should be the same basic principle. Concerns: do they leak, improve fuel mileage, rattle, noisy, fill the bed with dust?

chuck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 True Blue Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7L

Kevin

Hey kevin, I personally don't have the tonneau cover but I do have the spray in bed liner (although it's aftermarket) and mine came with the side steps too.

I've never heard anything bad about the tonneau cover but I can't speak for it from first hand experience. the bed liner and side steps are awesome though!! You're gonna love your new truck, congrats on the order.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

monettejb

2018 Hydro Blue Edition Ram 1500
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the bakflip G2 and havent had it long. Its very similar to other aluminum tri folds. We have had some major rainfall lately and it does leak. I've got to figure out where its leaking. Im going to do this by getting in side and let my fiance spray the water hose up in the air and create a "rain" affect. I think it may be coming from the tailgate and my driveway has a natural incline. The tailgate has that huge lip on the rear and it looks like it makes it easier for water to go back under the seal.

The good news is that it doesnt leak much. For example going down the road no water will get inside which is a good thing. But if it sits stationary in a driveway or parking lot it does collect some water. I would say maybe 2 gallons or so. So for traveling you'll be good for the most part.

I think that I will be adding some weather stripping to the rear seal near the tailgate. Its a simple flat seal but Im going to add the weather striping that you would put under your house window with the adhesive. Of course Im not sure if this is where it is leaking.

The way it works is rain hits the cover and goes into the "rails" the rails have a drain tube towards the cab of the truck and you simply route those behind the bed cover or holes in the bed. So all in all it does its job.

Gas mileage, maybe noticed a lil difference on the highway. Maybe .2 to .3 tenths better. Nothing stellar. Still should make some sort of difference. The thing I like is I can now open my rear sliding window without pinestraw and leaves blowing through the window.

I'd deff buy another....
Hope this helps.

Dust should be a minimum, and they are not noisy. At least mine is not. Its very solid and fits well. I will say that I had a factory bedline and the tailgate didn't want to close all that well with the plastic liner on the tailgate. I simply saw where the rail was hitting the rails and took a razor knife. I neatly trimmed the corners down and you wouldn't notice it unless I pointed it out. Shuts fine with no problem now.

Last edited:

2013-ram3500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I have the bakflip G2 and havent had it long. Its very similar to other aluminum tri folds. We have had some major rainfall lately and it does leak. I've got to figure out where its leaking. Im going to do this by getting in side and let my fiance spray the water hose up in the air and create a "rain" affect. I think it may be coming from the tailgate and my driveway has a natural incline. The tailgate has that huge lip on the rear and it looks like it makes it easier for water to go back under the seal.

The good news is that it doesnt leak much. For example going down the road no water will get inside which is a good thing. But if it sits stationary in a driveway or parking lot it does collect some water. I would say maybe 2 gallons or so. So for traveling you'll be good for the most part.

I think that I will be adding some weather stripping to the rear seal near the tailgate. Its a simple flat seal but Im going to add the weather striping that you would put under your house window with the adhesive. Of course Im not sure if this is where it is leaking.

The way it works is rain hits the cover and goes into the "rails" the rails have a drain tube towards the cab of the truck and you simply route those behind the bed cover or holes in the bed. So all in all it does its job.

Gas mileage, maybe noticed a lil difference on the highway. Maybe .2 to .3 tenths better. Nothing stellar. Still should make some sort of difference. The thing I like is I can now open my rear sliding window without pinestraw and leaves blowing through the window.

I'd deff buy another....
Hope this helps.

Dust should be a minimum, and they are not noisy. At least mine is not. Its very solid and fits well. I will say that I had a factory bedline and the tailgate didn't want to close all that well with the plastic liner on the tailgate. I simply saw where the rail was hitting the rails and took a razor knife. I neatly trimmed the corners down and you wouldn't notice it unless I pointed it out. Shuts fine with no problem now.

Glad to know its not a major leak!! Let us know where it was leaking in at. Thanks for the valuable info

kkreit01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm guessing that some major aftermarket supplier (Extang, etc.) makes the Mopar tonneau covers for Ram. I know Penda made the tailgate liner, and must make the bedliner as well. It should be as good as any other. I don't have major water issues with my Truxedo. I have a few drips while going through touchless carwashes, but it doesn't soak anything. I also added a tailgate seal.

dsw1519

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
HEMI 5.7 8 Spd.
I have the stock spray in liner. The factory does a great job with it and a spray in liner is the way to go. I have owned many pick ups and the spray in liner has held up the best for me, and I don't have to worry about the paint being damaged (rubbed/scuffed) like the plastic drop in liners cause.

As to the tonneau, I have the Undercover Flex. I wanted a folding hard cover and I decided on the Undercover over the bakflip because I didn't like how the bakflip rests on the cab when the top is fully open. They are both great covers, but for me that was what made the difference.

Like monettejb above, I do get a little bit of water when it rains (see pic below). That pic was taken right after I installed it and after an overnight downpour. As the rubber seals/molding have "settled", the water amount has lessened a little bit. It looks like it is coming in from the tailgate area. I intend to get a tail gate seal kit, but just haven't gotten to it yet.

Here is a link to my post with more pics and info about the flex.

http://www.ramforum.com/f41/installed_undercover_flex-30580/

I hope this info helps you.

Dave

IMG_20130411_081237_487_zps9416111b.jpg

Jim45498

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a Linex spray in bed liner and it has the UV protectant with clear coat.
I think it looks great. Cost including the UV clear coat was 600.00

I have 3 friends that have an Extang cover and they all swear they have no water problem. One is on a new ford and the other 2 are on gmc. One has been on the gmc for 8 years.
I think I will go with the Extang also ...local price installed is 375.00

BAKFactoryOutlet

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
Hi guys - The BAKFlip F1 is a great choice for a waterproof cover and I take care of RamForum members with my best prices.

If you have questions regarding any of the BAK tonneau covers please call me directly for the best pricing. I can also get virtually any other cover you might be interested in. We focus on BAK products but I sell many other brands of tonneau covers as well!!

Thanks!

Morrie
800-653-7089 ext.704
www.bakfactoryoutlet.com

The Crow 1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L w/8 Speed Trans.
Ordered a BakFlip VP tonneau cover last week from BakFactoryOutlet.com. It was delivered today. I can't comment on the cover yet, as my truck just went to "Paint" today. But, I will say they beat the best advertised price ($698) by $25. So, I feel like I got a great deal on the cover. I'll be able to give a more detailed review of the cover once my truck is delivered.

RuffRyder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I went with the Extang Encore tri fold and have been very happy. I haven't had issues with leaks and the features are great. It opens from either the tailgate or you can also fold back from the cab to gain access to either end of the bed. It has a lock by the cab so with the tailgate locked items are somewhat secure, knowing anything can be broken into. Very convenient to take off to have full access to the bed as well.

fdnj48

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have the Lund Genesis trifold and I love it. No issues so far

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1367546876818.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1367546876818.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 248
  • uploadfromtaptalk1367546886398.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1367546886398.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 587

Cthulhu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I'll throw my 2c in.. I've got a Retrax retractable cover. I've owned it since 2007 and its now on my second shortbox ram... It works EXCELLENT! Its strong enough to stand on, it keeps most of the water out, the rail sides are nearly perfect but the tailgate doesn't seal unless you have something like a spoiler from the 1500s. It is very secure, I added a locking tailgate lock to the box, and the cover has a keylock as well. It cannot be cut as the ribs are a plastic composite. The latch can be set at any point and often use it to hold taller items in the box from sliding around. (boxes 'etc).. I cannot recall what I paid for the cover but I think it was around $500-600.. Install is easy and just uses the aluminum clamps like canopies use. I won't own a truck without a cover like this.. Its usable, and can be rolled away for the longer tall loads.
Retrax™, The Last Bed Cover You'll Buy

Gtsum27

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I have the factory spray in liner and the factory mopar cover. It works well and is almost water right. A few drops get in there but nothing bad. Does not rattle or make noise. It is made out if a different material....almost like a denim type material

phillips66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I went with the BaKflip VP, I am very happy with it!! It's well constructed and fits the bed perfectly!!!

Sent from my iPhone

Ocelot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Right now I have a cheap American Tonneau Trifold soft cover. I've had it for a year later this month. No leaks so far, the bed is always dry. It held the heavy snow fine. Though I do like it, I think a hard trifold would be much stronger.

My last truck, I had the BakFlip trifold and it was a nightmare. My bed was always wet even with the drain tubes installed. Plus right after the one year warranty ran out the panels separated from the channels that they are riveted to at the hinge.

It was the older one right before the G2 and had gas shocks in the last panel to hold it open against the cab. The shocks putting constant pressure is what probably separated the panels. They switched to a rod in the G2. I think it was a known issue since I saw others on forums with the problem.

It was only like 60 days out of warranty and when I called the manufacturer, All they would do was give me a small discount on a new model. I know warranty end date is what it is, but I hoped for more for a known issue and an expensive cover.

Ray

Wandell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I'm guessing that some major aftermarket supplier (Extang, etc.) makes the Mopar tonneau covers for Ram. I know Penda made the tailgate liner, and must make the bedliner as well. It should be as good as any other. I don't have major water issues with my Truxedo. I have a few drips while going through touchless carwashes, but it doesn't soak anything. I also added a tailgate seal.

Exactly. Mopar doesn't actually make anything, they just rebrand products. Like Superlift makes their suspension lifts. What I'm saying is if you find out who makes the cover, you can but it cheaper than going to your dealership.

SilsHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have LINE-X XTRA and an Undercover tonneau. No leaks.

63d1278031433-undercover_tonneau-p1030573.jpg

64d1278031450-undercover_tonneau-p1030579.jpg

66d1278031472-undercover_tonneau-p1000887.jpg

Russ64

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ive got the Mopar Brand tri fold soft tonneau and have never thought about it twice. Seals good and easy to either fold up for large items or to remove by myself. I like the idea my stuff is secure in the bed and while travling I lock my tailgate so noone sees whats in the bed. I also have the factory spray in linee and love it also.