towing travel camper

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Maxim Marleau

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi,

i have a 2006 dodge ram 1500 5.7 3.92 with 35"x12.5 on 20" rockstars rims 212KM now, we have a travel camper 28" 7000lbs,

We are in Quebec

we are family of 3 1/2, little baby is on is way, We have towed for about 100 km without problem 2 times of course when i get on mountain even with the pedal to the floor speed go lower till i get to the top,
question is not about gas already expensive without towing lol,

question is driving with it for about 300km in one travel, is it ok for the engine, transmission etc or i'm to close to the limit ?

when i drived for about 100km engine temp was ok never go to 3/4 of the top,

i will add a picture of the setup,

My english is not 100% perfect so if something some one not understand just let me know

thanks for everyone.

1.png

Marley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would be curious of what the GVWR is of your trailer.

35" tires look great on these trucks but they do compromise the towing capacity some by changing the gear ratio.

If the trailer is truly 7000# loaded then you are within spec just be careful with payload " how much stuff you put in truck" and use tow-mode and OD off if you have it.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
i'd say you are at the upper limits with that truck and like was already said, the bigger tires hurt. Not only do they reduce your effective gear ratio but the added rotating weight hurts just as much. Rotating weight is much worse than static weight. Payload will be your biggest concern. 2 adults and 2 kids ballpark maybe 350 lbs, give or take. Tongue weight of that setup would probably be in the 700-1000lb range. Your payload on that truck is probably about 1300lbs so you are already getting close. Add the extra weight of the bigger tires plus any cargo you throw in the back of the truck and you are either right at the limit or even over.

Enough of the 'legal' talk. The truck shouldn't have much problem towing it. Keep an eye on your trans temps, as well as engine temp. And keep your speeds to the lower side and just be cautious. Thats my opinion and no i am not an attorney....lol

code54

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you regear you will get the ratio closer to stock or even better ratios which will allow the truck to pull better. This will also make the engine and tranny "work" less - it will reduce your top speed but in a truck or on road vehicle this really does not matter as the minor difference will never be noticed at anything close to the legal speed limits.

jerryt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It looks like your truck and camper are sitting pretty level in the picture. What everyone has told you is all good advice and you will probably be fine, but with a growing family who will want more cargo you would most likely be better off with a 2500 truck in the long run. The bigger truck should last longer as everything would be easier on the truck.